Return to Mass Communications Faculty
Professor Dick focuses on Health Communication,
Risk/Crisis Communication, Public Communication, and Media Effects. Her academic preparation includes degrees in Political Science, Rhetoric, and Communication Studies, and teaching experience at several domestic and international institutions. She has work experience in theatre, print journalism, advertising, public relations, corporate training/development, upper management, and corporate consulting. Professor Dick has also served as co-director of the National Communication Association Science Communication event at the National Science and Engineering Expo in Washington, DC during the Spring of 2012; her co-director was Dr. Katherine Rowan, Professor of Communication at George Mason University.
In addition to her academic research projects, she and fellow artist Keith Fox have created a series of acrylic paintings based on both Dr. Dick’s and Professor Keith Fox’s scholarship. “GynTalk: Visual Fiction” has been featured in various galleries nationwide.
Her most recent work includes:
- Bolliger, D., Dick, M. L, and Wenz, K. L. (2012, August). Using Web 2.0 in on-line learning environments. Workshop presented at the 19th International Conference on Learning, London, UK.
- Dick, M. L and Huxman, S. S. (2011, June). Peace prose out of paradox: The Constitutive rhetoric of Chief Lawrence Hart. Paper presented at the Empowerment and the Sacred: An Interdisciplinary Conference, Leeds, UK.
- Littlefield, R., Rowan, K., Veil, S. R., Kisselburgh, L., Beauchamp, K., Vidoloff, K., Dick, M. L, Russell-Loretz, T., Kim, I., Ruvurac, A., Wang, Q., Hoang, T. S., Neff, B., Toles-Patkin, R., Troester, R., Hyder, S., Venette, S., and Sellnow, T. L. (2010). We tell people. It's up to them to be prepared. Public Relations Practices of Local Emergency Managers. In Coombs, W. T. and Holladay, S. J. (Eds.), The Handbook of Crisis Communication, 245-260. West Sussex, UK: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Veil, S., Littlefield, R., Kisselburgh, L., Cho, H., Beauchamp, K., Vidoloff, K., Dick, M., Vennette, S., and Sellnow, T. (2008, November). Dissemination as success: Local emergency communication management practices. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the National Communication Association, San Diego, CA.
- Rowan, K. E., Kisselburgh, L., Ruvarac, A., Veil, S., Littlefield, R., Sellnow, T., Venette, S., Hyder, S., Toles-Patkin, T., Troester, R., Dick, M., & Neff, B. (2007, November). Who is responsible for local emergency preparedness? A nationwide research project and public relations instructional effort. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the National Communication Association, Chicago, IL.
- "GynTalk: Visual Fiction, No. 4" invited participation in the Rhapsody in Blue exhibit, Gallery AS220, Providence, RI, April 2008.
- "Emergency Management Preparedness: A nationwide research project and public relations instructional effort," presentation at the National Communication Association, Chicago, IL, November 2007.
- "Strategic Innovation and Communication," invited presentation
at the 2006 ASTD Benchmarking Forum, Los Angeles, CA.
- "GynTalk: Visual Fiction" exhibition at St. Ann Arts
and Cultural Center in Woonsocket, RI, December 11, 2005, to June 17, 2006.
- "GynTalk: Visual Fiction" exhibition at Hope Gallery,
October 25 to November 19, 2006.
- "GynTalk: Visual Fiction No. 19" Summer Faculty Exhibition,
Woods Gerry Gallery, Rhode Island School of Design, Providence RI, July
13-July 23, 2006.