Extension of Program for J1 Students

Who is eligible?

An J-1 student who is currently maintaining status and making normal progress toward completing their educational objective, but who is unable to complete his or her course of study by the program end date on the Form I-20.



  • Student receives permission from their home institution.
  • The student applies for the extension prior to the program end date listed on their DS-2019.
  • Students can participate in a non-degree program for no more than 24 months.


How to apply?

  1. Get written permission from home University.
  2. Complete Program Extension form with Academic Advisor.
  3. Obtain updated copies of financial documentation. (click hereFinancial Documentation Guidelines)
  4. Return Program Extension form and financial documents to CIS front desk.

Program extensions will take 3-4 days to process. When your new I-20 is ready a CIS advisor will send you an email. You will then be able to pick up your new I-20.


Other Reminders

  • If living on campus, student must contact Residential Life about extending housing contract.
  • Student will be charged for health insurance to cover the duration of the program extension.