Optional Practical Training (OPT)
OPT is “temporary employment for practical training directly related to the student’s major area of study”. It provides students with an opportunity to gain employment experience for one year following completion of their program of study.
Types of OPT
Pre-Completion OPT - is work authorization for a student who is enrolled full-time and has not yet completed their program of study. Students who are eligible to register for the next term may be approved to work for less than 20 hours per week (part-time) when school is in session and more than 20 hours per week (full-time) when school is not in session.
Post-Completion OPT - is work authorization for a student who has completed her/his program of study. Graduate students can apply and engage in Post-Completion OPT while they continue to work on their thesis, capstone paper or comprehensive examination.
STEM Extension – is an additional 17-month work authorization for Post-Completion OPT for certain eligible STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics) degree holders.
Who is eligible for OPT?
A student can apply for OPT if:
- The student is currently in valid F-1 status.
- The student has been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for one full academic year.
Who is NOT eligible for OPT?
A student CANNOT apply for OPT if:
- The student is enrolled in an intensive English-language or certificate program.
- The student has exceeded 12 months of full-time CPT.
- The student has already received the benefit of OPT for their current program level.
OPT Information Sessions
The Spring 2013 semester sessions have already passed.
To view the presentation click here
Upcoming sessions for the Fall 2013 semester are:
1) Thursday, September 12, 2013 from 3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. in Voyageurs South
2) Friday, September 13, 2013 from 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. in Voyageurs South
3) Tuesday, September 17, 2013 from 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. in Voyageurs South
4) Wednesday, September 18, 2013 from 9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. in Voyageurs South