STEM Extension is an additional 17 months of post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) granted to certain government-designated STEM degree-holders in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.
Who is eligible for a STEM Extension?
A student can apply for a STEM Extension if:
- The student is currently participating in post-completion OPT.
- The student is currently working for a U.S. employer in a job directly related to the student’s major area of study.
- The student must have successfully completed a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree in a field on the STEM Designated Degree Program List. (The STEM Program List can be found at: www.ice.gov/sevis/stemlist.htm).
- The student must be able to submit a copy of an official transcript or diploma showing they have successfully completed all degree requirements and that their graduation has been conferred.
- The student must have a job or job offer from a U.S. employer registered with the E-Verify employment verification system. (E-Verify information can be found at: http://www.uscis.gov/E-Verify).
Who is NOT eligible for a STEM Extension?
A student CANNOT apply for a STEM Extension if:
- The student's post-completion OPT period has expired.
- The student has not completed all degree requirements necessary for graduation.
- The student has already received a STEM Extension.
- The student has exceeded 90 days of unemployment during their post-completion OPT period.
Important Points to Remember
- Students must allow 5 business days for CIS to process their request.
- A student may file their STEM Extension packet up to 120 days before their post-completion OPT end date. However, the application packet must be sent to USCIS within 30 days from when the Center for International Studies issues the new I-20.
- A student’s graduation from St. Cloud State University must be conferred in order to submit an application packet to USCIS.
- A student’s application packet must be received by USCIS before the their post-completion OPT end date.
- While the student’s STEM Extension application is pending, the student’s post-completion OPT is automatically extended until the STEM Extension is approved or for 180 days, whichever is earlier.