Full-Time Equivalency is a type of authorization that may be granted to international students which allows them to be enrolled in less than full-time credits but to be considered enrolled full-time to maintain their F-1 student status.
Full-time enrollment at St. Cloud State University:
Undergraduate = 12 credits / Masters = 8 credits / Doctoral = 6 credits
Types of Full-Time Equivalency
Authorized participation in full-time Curricular Practical Training (CPT): - allows international students who are engaged in full-time CPT and taking at least one credit related to their internship to be considered in full-time enrollment.
Concurrent enrollment - allows international students to be enrolled in two different SEVIS-approved schools at the same time as long as the combined enrollment amounts to a full-time course of study.
Masters/Doctoral students working on a culminating project/dissertation - allows international masters/doctoral students who are:
- completing all coursework for the degree requirements and are working on their culminating project/dissertation; OR
- have completed all coursework for their degree requirements, AND
- are working on their culminating project/dissertation, AND
- are taking at least one credit related to their internship to be considered in full-time enrollment.
Who is eligible for Full-Time Equivalency?
International students can apply for Full-Time Equivalency if:
- The student is currently in valid F-1 student status.
- The student meets all necessary requirements for the requested category. (Please refer to the Full-Time Equivalency Request for F-1 Students Form)
Who is NOT eligible for Full-Time Equivalency?
International students CANNOT apply for Full-Time Equivalency if:
- The student is not enrolled in at least one credit at St. Cloud State University.
- The student requesting the authorized participation in full-time (CPT) category, is in their final semester and has no remaining courses for their degree requirements.
Important Points to Remember
- Students must allow 5 full business days after submission of a complete application for the Center for International Studies to process their request.
- An international student may not withdraw from a course or enroll concurrently at another institution without receiving PRIOR authorization from the Center for International Studies.
- If authorized for full-time equivalency, the international student must resume a full course of study during the next available semester, excluding the summer session, in order to maintain F- 1 student status, if applicable.
- An international student may continue to work on-campus while on approved full-time equivalency authorization as long as the employment will not interfere with the student’s academic studies and the student is enrolled in at least one credit.