Extension of Program for F1 Students
Who is eligible?
An F-1 student who is currently maintaining status and making normal progress toward completing his or her educational objective, but who is unable to complete his or her course of study by the program end date on the Form I-20.
- The student applies for the extension prior to the program end date listed on their I-20
- The student can prove that the delay in completion is "caused by compelling academic or medical reasons, such as changes of major or research topics, unexpected research problems, or documented illness."
How to apply?
- Complete Program Extension form with Academic Advisor.
- Obtain updated copies of financial documentation. (click hereFinancial Documentation Guidelines)
- Return Program Extension form and financial documents to CIS front desk.
Program extensions will take 3-4 days to process. When your new I-20 is ready a CIS advisor will send you an email. You will then be able to pick up your new I-20.