How to Invite an International Exchange Visitor
Step One (a): J-1 Exchange Visitor Application click here
This form is to be completed by the sponsoring department in conjunction with the exchange visitor applicant. The appointment of the exchange visitor must be approved by the Faculty Mentor, College/School Dean and Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Step One (b): Funding
- If the exchange visitor will be employed by St. Cloud State University, then the sponsoring department must contact Human Resources (AS 204) to complete the necessary paperwork.
- Any St. Cloud State University funding for the exchange visitor must follow all MnSCU policies. Once the contract is approved, a copy must be submitted to the Center for International Studies. Please contact Business Services / Foundation for more information.
Host Institution/Agency Funding
- If the exchange visitor will be funded by their home institution, private organization, or government agency, a financial guarantee is required. The guarantee must include detailed information regarding the funding provided for the exchange visitor for the duration of their stay.
Other Funding Sources
- If a private sponsor (a relative or friend) will be funding the exchange visitor’s program, the sponsor must be able to demonstrate proof of funding and complete the Financial Certification Form for Private Sponsors.
Step Two: Exchange Visitor Dependent Request Form (if applicable) click here
This form is to be completed by the sponsoring department if the exchange visitor has dependents in the form of spouse and/or children under 21 years of age that will be accompanying the exchange visitor to the United States. Each dependent will require J-2 dependent status and the exchange visitor must demonstrate in his/her application the ability to support them financially.
Step Three: Addendum to Site of Activity and Changes to Terms & Conditions of Initial Employment (if applicable) click here
This form is required if the exchange visitor will conduct activities off campus. According to the Code of Federal Regulations, the activity must be occasional in nature, and must be incidental to the exchange visitor’s primary program objective. Please contact the Center for International Studies for any questions regarding your request.
Step Four: St. Cloud State University New Employee Data Sheet click here
This form is required by the Human Resources department and is used in order to issue an identification number (Tech ID) to the exchange visitor. Please contact Human Resources with any questions.
Step Five: St. Cloud State University Volunteer Faculty/Coach/Trainer Application (if applicable) click here
This form is required if the exchange visitor will NOT be paid by St. Cloud State University. By completing this form, it will ensure that the exchange visitor is given access to all required resources on campus. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. For more information about this policy: http://www.stcloudstate.edu/policies/categories/documents/VolunteerProcedure.pdf
Step Six: Request for J-1 Exchange Visitor click here
Once all of the above steps are completed, use this form as a cover for the exchange visitor request. In order to completely review an application, the Center for International Studies requests the following documents listed below. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Please contact the Center for International Studies for any questions regarding your request.
- J-1 Exchange Visitor Application
- Exchange Visitor Dependent Request Form (if applicable)
- Official Invitation Letter from School/College
- Copy of the Exchange Visitor's Passport
- Copy of the Dependents' Passport (if applicable)
- Financial Support Documentation
- Addendum to Site of Activity and Changes to Terms & Conditions of Initial Employment (if applicable)
- New Employee Data Sheet
- Request for Appointment of Volunteer Faculty (if applicable)
Submit the entire packet to:
CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDIES
ST. CLOUD STATE UNIVERSITY
Attn: Kristy Nelson Ramos
101 Lawrence Hall, 720 Fourth Ave. South
St. Cloud, MN 56301, U.S.A.
Step Seven: Center for International Studies Review
Within two weeks of receiving your request packet, the Center for International Studies will mail the immigration paperwork to the Administrative/Logistical Liaison and/or Faculty Mentor of the sponsoring department. It is the responsibility of the sponsoring department to send all immigration paperwork to the exchange visitor. Please note that visa processing times vary by country and can take up to 6 months to be issued. The Center for International Studies will also email an electronic version of the submitted request to the Administrative/Logistical Liaison and/or Faculty of the sponsoring department to keep on file.