How to Maintain J-1 Exchange Visitor Status
J-1 Exchange Visitor Responsibilities
- Supply all application materials to the sponsoring department including:
- Biographical page of passport
- Proof of sufficient funds
- Schedule a visa appointment for the J-1 visa http://usembassy.state.gov/ and pay the associated SEVIS fee www.fmjfee.com
- Check in with the Center for International Studies and present all required documents within 30 days of your arrival in the United States. Documents include:
- I-94 card
- Pay the balance for the international health insurance policy at the Business Services office upon your arrival on campus.
- Engage only in the activities permitted by the program and category listed on your DS-2019 form.
- Maintain a valid passport at all times.
- Refrain from unauthorized employment. Prior authorization for incidental employment at another institution is required.
- Report a change of address in the U.S. within 10 days to the Center for International Studies.
- File US Federal and Minnesota State Tax returns.
- Obtain a travel signature from the Center for International Studies prior to traveling outside of United States.
- Inform the Center for International Studies upon completion of your program at St. Cloud State University.
- Depart the United States within the 30 day grace period.