Maintaining Legal Status for J-1 Exchange Visitors
As a J-1 Exchange Visitor, you must meet certain obligations to maintain legal immigration status. Maintaining status is necessary to receive the benefits of J-1 status in the future, such as applying for a change of status, if needed. Failure to maintain your non-immigrant status can result in serious problems with immigration and could lead to deportation from the U.S.
To maintain legal J-1 immigration status you must:
- Attend the mandatory immigration check-in and orientation at the Center for International Studies and present the following:
- I-94 print-out
- Have a valid DS-2019
- Have a valid passport, your passport must be valid for at least 6 months into the future
- Conduct employment only as indicated on your DS-2019
- Pay for and maintain the required health insurance coverage
- Update your current and permanent address information with the Center for International Studies within 10 days of moving.
- File US Federal and Minnesota State Tax returns
- Obtain a travel signature from the Center for International Studies prior to traveling outside of United States
- Inform the Center for International Studies upon completion of your program at St. Cloud State University
- Depart the United States within the 30 day grace period
Occasional Lectures and Consultations
J-1 Exchange Visitors may participate in occasional lectures and short-term consultations as long as such activities are approved in advance and in writing by the Center for International Studies.
Such lectures and consultations must meet the following criteria:
- Be directly related to the objectives of your J-1 program
- Be incidental to your primary program activities
- Not delay the completion date of your J-1 program
Failure to obtain authorization in advance may have result in negative implications on your immigration status.
The Center for International Studies must receive the addendum request at least 10 business days before the J-1 Exchange Visitor may begin legal participation in the activity. The Center for International Studies will confirm approval to the department and Exchange Visitor by email.
Travel Information for J-1 Exchange Visitors click here
Replacement of Lost or Stolen Documents click here