Who is eligible for a SSN?
F-1 international students who have
- Been offered an on-campus job or have already begun working at an on-campus job.
- Been granted Curricular Practical Training (CPT) employment authorization.
- Been granted Optional Practical Training (OPT) employment authorization and have received their Employment Authorization Document (EAD) and the valid period of the EAD has begun.
J-1 exchange visitor students who are
- Sponsored by St. Cloud State University
- At any time while pursuing their program of study
- Following the completion of their program of study only if the student has been granted Academic Training (AT) employment authorization
- Sponsored by an outside agency
- Should consult with their Exchange Program Sponsor regarding their eligibility and required documentation
J-1 exchange visitor scholars are
- Eligible at any time up to 15 days prior to the end date of their exchange program as indicated on their Form DS-2019
EAD Card Holders are
- Students and scholars who have been granted an Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
- Eligible to apply only after the validity period of the EAD has begun and no later than 15 days prior to the expiration of the EAD