Who is eligible for a SSN?


F-1 international students who have

  • Been offered an on-campus job or have already begun working at an on-campus job.
  • Been granted Curricular Practical Training (CPT) employment authorization.
  • Been granted Optional Practical Training (OPT) employment authorization and have received their Employment Authorization Document (EAD) and the valid period of the EAD has begun.


J-1 exchange visitor students who are

  • Sponsored by St. Cloud State University
    • At any time while pursuing their program of study
    • Following the completion of their program of study only if the student has been granted Academic Training (AT) employment authorization
  • Sponsored by an outside agency
  • Should consult with their Exchange Program Sponsor regarding their eligibility and required documentation

J-1 exchange visitor scholars are

  • Eligible at any time up to 15 days prior to the end date of their exchange program as indicated on their Form DS-2019



Important Points

EAD Card Holders are

  • Students and scholars who have been granted an Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
  • Eligible to apply only after the validity period of the EAD has begun and no later than 15 days prior to the expiration of the EAD