International Peer Advisor (IPA) Program
IPA assists the Center for International Studies (CIS) with welcoming new international students to our campus and community. It is a volunteer program that offers global connections through student diplomacy.
What are the Responsibilities?
As an IPA volunteer, you play an important role in the orientation of newly arriving international students. Your duties include: greeting new international students at St. Cloud State University upon arrival, welcoming them to campus, serving as a leader and mentor to small groups, and attending CIS-sponsored orientation activities. You are also encouraged to act as a cross-cultural liaison to student life both on- and off-campus. As an IPA volunteer, you are an important link between the international student, CIS, SCSU, and the Greater St. Cloud Community!
- Submit IPA Application no later than May 3, 2013.
- Attend the mandatory IPA sign-up session April 29 (3:00-4:00 pm) and mandatory IPA training August 16, 2013 (9:00 am - 4:00 pm)
- Genuine interest in learning about other cultures and assisting international peers.
- Availability throughout the week of International Student Orientation (August 20-23, 2013)
What are the Benefits?
- Friends from other countries!
- Leadership, volunteer and cross-cultural experience to add to your résumé!
- A cool and comfortable t-shirt to add to your collection (all day orientation volunteers only)!
- The eternal gratitude of CIS (we’re willing to write great reference letters)!
- Move in to Residence Halls early - Saturday, August 17, 2013 – Must let CIS know if you need this on the application
Optional Evaluation Luncheon
On Friday, September 6, 2013, there will be a lunch for IPA volunteers. During this informal gathering, we will evaluate and reflect on the Peer Advisor Program. This lunch is not required, but we hope that you are able to attend.