The Classroom Visit Program - “Connecting Cultures & Communities”
The Classroom Visit Program (CVP) is a program sponsored by the Center for International Studies at St. Cloud State University that matches SCSU international students with elementary, secondary, and adult classrooms. SCSU students are offered the opportunity to visit participating schools/organizations and make presentations about their culture and country.
Benefits of the Classroom Visit Program
- Learn firsthand about other countries and cultures
- Interact with international students and scholars and increase intercultural communication skills
- Have an opportunity to ask questions about current issues and daily life
- Learn multiple perspectives
- Discover their connections to the rest of the world
- Understand similarities and differences between diverse cultures
- Become more aware of their own culture
- Offer firsthand information about their countries and cultures not found in textbooks or U.S. media
- Compare and discuss aspects of U.S. culture with that of their own
- Improve their communication, teaching and public speaking skills
- Motivate students to learn more about specific countries and about global issues
- Instill confidence and pride in children from cultures other than the U.S. majority culture
- Participate in cultural activities to apply toward their Academic & Cultural Sharing Scholarship at SCSU
- Gain the opportunity to learn how K-12 classrooms, senior care facilities, and mentorship programs function in the U.S.
- Complement their curriculum with international perspectives
- Internationalize their classroom environment
- Meet international students from around the world
- Help students and self gain a better understanding of multiple perspectives and celebrate diversity
- Grow in their own understanding of different countries and cultures
Who are the Participants?
Classroom Visit Speakers
CVP speakers are international students at St. Cloud State University who have come to live and study in Minnesota. There are more than 1,200 international students at St. Cloud State University representing about 90 countries. More than 60 percent of SCSU’s international students come from Asia, primarily Nepal, India and China.
Teachers/Leaders who are motivated to create an intercultural classroom environment fill out applications to participate in the Classroom Visit Program for one academic year. They become partners with the Classroom Visit Program, integrating international speakers into their curriculum. CVP speakers serve K-12 classrooms and various community organizations in the St. Cloud and surrounding communities. Social Studies, World Geography, Foreign Languages, Literature, History, and Science classrooms all benefit from the world of perspectives offered by Classroom Visit speakers. Speakers may also be requested by SCSU faculty and/or community organizations.
How to request a CVP speaker
Those who are interested in hosting a CVP speaker should contact the Center for International Studies and complete a CVP request form. International students are then contacted by the Center for International Studies regarding speaking opportunities. Schools/organizations that are able to provide transportation may get more replies, as many international students do not have vehicles. For more information, e-mail us at email@example.com.