The following English proficiency options are accepted by SCSU for international undergraduate applicants:
- Students taking the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) are required to meet ONE of the following options:
- Meet the score of 61 on the internet-based TOEFL (iBT). Subscores must be 15 or higher for reading, writing, and listening. Official score report sent directly from ETS required OR
- Meet the 500 standard on International (paper) Test Of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Official score report sent directly from ETS required.
- 5.5 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Official score report sent directly from testing center required. Please list St. Cloud State University as a recipient of your official IELTS score. Official IELTS scores are sent to SCSU electronically.
- 70 on Michigan with cover letter from testing institution (for Universities with an English as a Second Language program or Intensive English Language Institutes only).
- 44 on Pearson PTE Academic test. Only scores accessed via the Score Report Website are considered to be valid.
- SAT critical reading score of 370 or higher. Official score report sent directly from testing center required.
- Successful graduation from an English-medium high school with a 2.5 (cumulative equivalent) GPA or higher. An original letter from the school principal or headmaster on school letterhead must be submitted as part of the application. The letter must state that English is the medium of instruction and attest to the applicant's English language abilities.
- Successful graduation from a U. S. high school located in the United States of America.
- Transferring from a U.S. college or university with 12 credits of university-level work (remedial courses and ESL do not count toward the 12 credits) or more at a 2.5 (cumulative equivalent) GPA or higher.
- Successful completion of the Intensive English Center at St. Cloud State University with a letter from the IEC Director confirming the student is ready for college-level academic work.