The Master of Science degree in Library Media, offered by Information Media (IM) Department at St. Cloud State University, incorporates all of the competency requirements leading to Minnesota licensure as a library media specialist. It is specifically structured for people pursuing careers in K-12 schools. The curriculum includes courses in library/media management, technological applications for teaching and learning, and instructional development and production. The program builds on basic skills and competencies required for teacher licensure. Course work leading to school library media specialist licensure may be completed without completing a master’s degree.
Student Learning Outcomes
• Candidates demonstrate the ability to develop and implement an information media program that reflects the vision, mission, and goals of the school.
• Candidates demonstrate the ability to develop and implement an information media program that is an integral part of the total curriculum.
• Candidates demonstrate the ability to develop and implement information media program policies and procedures consistent with principles of professional practice and appropriate to the mission and goals of the school and district.
• Candidates demonstrate the ability to initiate and maintain motivating, technology-current, and research-based environments that foster the continued professional growth of the learning community.
• Candidates demonstrate an understanding of the teaching of information media with the understanding of pedagogy, students, learning, classroom management, and professional development.
• Candidates apply appropriate research methods and findings in professional practice: the candidates understand, apply, and integrate research into teaching and learning, and use various resources available to inform best practice and add to the professional knowledge base.
* (Taken from Minnesota Board of Teaching Subject Matter Standards For Library Media Specialists)
- Step-by-step Guide to the application process
- Graduate Admissions Application
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Preliminary Written Exam and Oral Conference
Program Requirements & Courses
- Program Requirements
- Minnesota State Competencies
- Choosing Your IM Culminating Experience
- Course Descriptions
- Course Offering Plan 2013 through 2017
- Course Registration
Library Media Forms
- Program of Study Form
- Change of Advisor Form
- Petition to change your Program of Study Form
- Licensure Contract
- Practicum Waiver Form