Library Media Specialist
Graduate Certificate / Licensure Program
In Minnesota, people pursuing a career in K-12 schools as a Library Media Specialist are required to obtain the Library Media Specialist (LMS) Licensure. To be eligible for this license, you need to have an authorized institution certify that you meet the competencies established by the state of Minnesota.
There are two graduate options offered by the Information Media Department (IM) at St. Cloud State University, that meet the state competencies for licensure. The first is a Master of Library Media degree. The second is the LMS Certificate, specifically structured for people pursuing a career in the public schools as a Library Media Specialist, but not seeking a master’s degree.
The certificate in Library Media Specialist is designed for full-time or part-time students. Classes are offered in the evening during the academic year and during the day in summer. All classes are available through distance technology. Students may attend class face to face or synchronously from a distance through the Web.
If you do not already hold a teaching license in Minnesota you will need to complete a second set of courses to satisfy the Standards of Effective Practice (SEP) competencies. These are the competencies required of all teacher education candidates regardless of content area. Through an arrangement with Bemidji State University's FasTrack program, students seeking their initial teaching license who are enrolled in the SCSU Information Media Library Media Specialist program can complete the SEP courses online. For more information about the Bemidji FasTrack program go to FasTrack
Apply for Certificate
Students interested in the Library Media Specialist Certificate should meet with a licensure advisor in Information Media to plan the sequence of courses required and complete a certificate program of study form indicating the appropriate courses for licensure.
Contact the HURL\IM office at (320) 308-2062 to make arrangements.
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution.
- Meet the School of Graduate Studies GPA Requirements.
- Submit the Application for Admission to the School of Graduate Studies.
- Submit the Program and Student Data forms to your IM advisor.
- The GRE is NOT required for admission to certificate programs.
- Letters of recommendation are not required.
- Preliminary Oral Interview and Written Conference
Additional Requirements Specific to the Certificate:
- Students must maintain a grade point average of 3.0; no grade less than B- is accepted for certificate courses.
- At the completion of 8 credits, students must successfully complete a review of LMS skills and dispositions to determine licensure progress.
- At the completion of the certificate courses, students must submit the Certificate Completion Application to the School of Graduate Studies and participate in an exit interview with at least three members of the faculty.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Minnesota State Competencies
- Graduate Admissions Home Page
- Financing your education
- Information Media Scholarships
- Course Offering Plan 2015 through 2018
- Library Media Specialist Licensure Application
St. Cloud State University Catalog Links: