Library Media Specialist
Graduate Certificate / Licensure Program
In Minnesota, people pursuing a career in K-12 schools as a Library Media Specialist are required to obtain the Library Media Specialist (LMS) Licensure. To be eligible for this license, you need to have an authorized institution certify that you meet the competencies established by the state of Minnesota.
There are two graduate options offered by the Information Media Department (IM) at St. Cloud State University, that meet the state competencies for Licensure. The first is a Master’s degree in Educational media. The second is the LMS Certificate, specifically structured for people pursuing a career in the public schools as a Library Media Specialist, but not seeking a master’s degree.
Apply for Certificate
Students interested in the Library Media Specialist Certificate should meet with a licensure adviser in Information Media to plan the sequence of courses required and complete a certificate program of study form indicating the appropriate courses for licensure.
Contact the HURL\IM office at (320) 308-2062 to make arrangements.
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution.
- Meet the School of Graduate Studies GPA Requirements.
- Submit the Application for Admission to the School of Graduate Studies.
- Submit the Program and Student Data forms to your IM Adviser.
- A GRE is NOT required for admission to certificate programs.
Additional Requirements Specific to the Certificate:
- Students must maintain a grade point average of 3.0; no grade less than B- is accepted for certificate courses.
- At the completion of 8 credits, students must successfully complete a review of LMS skills and dispositions to determine licensure progress.
- At the completion of the certificate courses, students must submit the Certificate Completion Application to the School of Graduate Studies and participate in an exit interview with at least three members of the faculty.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Minnesota State Competencies
- Graduate Admissions Home Page
- Financing your education
- Information Media Scholarships
- Course Offering Plan 2013 through 2017
St. Cloud State University Catalog Links: