An important part of the training in our program is research involvement. There are usually up to three faculty-directed research projects and six student thesis projects to select from each year. We encourage students to be involved in several of these projects in which they have an interest.
We also expect first and second year students to attend yearly professional meetings such as ACSM, NACSM, AOPA and/or ASB in order to present their research and be exposed to other researchers' work.
The following is a list of the research presented by our students at recent national meetings.
- Cost of Positive and Negative Work on a Cycle Ergometer.
- Perceived Importance of Strength and Conditioning Relative to Sports Orientation in Junior Alpine Ski Racers
2012, San Francisco
- On-hill Delayed Video Enhances Development in Alpine Skiers during One Week of Summer Camp Training.
- Are Aerobic and Anaerobic Capacities in CUSSA Junior Alpine Ski Racers Improving? A Seven Year Follow-up.
2011, Denver, ACSM
- Pre-Competition Hydration Status of High School Athletes Participating in Alpine Skiing.
- Influence of Block Angle on Take-off Velocity in Swim Starts.
- A Comparison of Absolute and Relative Upper Body Power with Roller Ski-skating Performance.
- Design and Calibration of an Arm Ergometer For Nordic Skiers
- Pre-Competition Hydration Status of High School Athletes Participating in Different Sports
2009, Seattle, ACSM
- Metabolic Demand of a Kettlebell Workout Routine.
- Video Field Selection Errors when Measuring Collegiate Volleyball Jump Heights.
- Instrumentation and Calibration of Track and Field Starting Blocks for the Measurement of Kinetic Data.
- The Influence of a Power Balance TM Hologram on Single Leg Standing Balance.
2008, Indianapolis, ACSM
- Minimum Vacuum Level Required to Maintain Limb Volume in Trans-tibial Amputees during Ambulation.
- Metabolic work using a seated-eliptical and a recumbent ergometer.
- Knee Alignment, Peak Forces and Knee Valgus Torques When Landing in Two Different Ballet Positions.
- Nonoperative treatment of the ulnar collateral ligament a case report.
- Validity of Predicting One Repetition Maximum Strength from Sub-maxima Repetitions to Fatigue.
2007, New Orleans, ACSM
- Changes in Aerobic and Anaerobic Capacity in CUSSA Junior Alpine Skiers.
- Contribution of Hip External Rotation to Turnout in Adult Female Ballet Students.
- Ingestion of a carbohydrate-protein supplement improves performance during repeated bouts of high intensity cycling.
- A Comparison of Two Testing Methods for Knee Extension Endurance.
2006, Denver, ACSM
- A season's physical fitness profile of female D-III soccer players.
- Training impulse is lower for alpine skiers when consuming a carbohydrate-protein gel.
- Delayed cholesterol analysis negatively affects test results.
2005, Nashville, ACSM
- Comparisons of single and multi - probe NIRS signals during progressive treadmill exercise.
2004, Indianapolis, ACSM
- The effects of a carbohydrate/protein drink on skating performance in collegiate hockey players.
2003, San Francisco, ACSM
- Body image perceptions of black and white female college students.
- Effects of a heat exchange mask on cardiovascular function and endothelin release during cold exposure.
- Hydration status of male college hockey players during practice sessions.
- Limitations to measuring skin blood flow using laser Doppler flowmetry during alternating pressure application.
2001, Phoenix, AOPA
- Pressures applied to the limbs of below-knee amputees using pin suspension.
- Trans-tibial amputee suction and vacuum socket conditions .
2001, Baltimore, ACSM
- Predicting heart rate and blood lactate in a roller ski biathlon race using field test data.
- Pressure measurement on residual limbs during ambulation while wearing traditional and vacuum-assisted prosthetic sockets.
- The effects of a heat exchange mask on physiological function in exercise induced asthmatics.
- The effects of gender on toxicology of 14 days of ribose ingestion.
- The glycemic index of sport bars.
2000, Indianapolis, ACSM
- Effects of ingested ribose on blood glucose, blood lactate, and estimated rate of carbohydrate oxidation.
- Error analysis of flight time in estimating jump height.
- Error analysis of impulse method in estimating CMJ height.
- Error analysis of video method in estimating CMJ height.
- Lower body anaerobic power and performance in cross-country skiing.
- Performance testing of NCAA Division I women ice hockey players.
- The effect of a heat exchange mask on pulmonary and cardiovascular functions during cold exposure.
- The effects of phosphatidyl serine on markers of muscular stress in endurance runners.
1999, Seattle, ACSM
- Aerobic fitness and physiological reactivity to a mental stressor.
- On and off ice anaerobic indices of Division I hockey players.
- On and off ice performance testing of NCAA Division I women ice hockey players
- The effects of an herbal compound on lactic acid clearance.
- The effect of two sports drink formulations on muscle stress and performance.
- The effects of ingesting carbohydrate gel and liquid glucose on blood glucose and oxidation responses during rest.
1998, Orlando, ACSM
- Creatine supplementation and multiple skating task performance in Division I hockey players.
- Determination of work and metabolic cost of Nordic Track's CTX Rider.
- Muscle activity during crunches with an ab-roller and the ab-assist.
- Performance and recovery effects of Breathe Right nasal strips during simulated hockey periods.
- Predicting retro walking/running speed from metabolic cost of forward running.