Honors students at St. Cloud State University have the chance to study anywhere in the world! Each experience abroad is unique, and ultimately, students gain intercultural partnership, and learn about themselves, as well as the world they live in. Studying abroad distinguishes students, marking them as excellent candidates for jobs and graduate schools.
Honors students have a wonderful opportunity to study at England's world famous University of Oxford, located 50 miles northwest of London (just one hour by train). The University is over 600 years old and is made up of 40 colleges and halls. Because of the wide range of experts available at Oxford, students have the opportunity to study almost any advanced, upper-division academic subject. In addition, Honors students from all over the world study at Oxford, so you are sure to get a quality classroom experience!
The city of Oxford was founded in the time of Alfred the Great (about 800 AD) and is one of the leading cultural and artistic centers in England. Oxford, which enjoys easy train and bus connections to London, teems with numerous museums, bookstores, and pubs and is surrounded by classic rolling English countryside. Over the course of a semester, students often take the opportunity to view other attractions, including Paris, Amsterdam, Brussels, Florence, and Rome.
There is more! Honors students can receive up to $2000 in financial aid (since Oxford's tuition exceeds that of SCSU). Several SCSU Honors students have studied at Oxford in the past years and have loved the adventure and learning opportunity. It takes some planning, so if England sounds like an experience you can't pass up, talk to the Honors director and start planning today!
Other Education Abroad Options
Education Abroad opportunities allow students to study in other nation’s throughout the world and at the same time earn credit towards SCSU graduation requirements.
To learn more about the various education abroad opportunities available for SCSU students, explore the Education Abroad webpage.
Top 10 Reasons to Study Abroad during College
- 1. You can travel to different cities in your host country, and even to some of the neighboring countries.
- 2. You get to make friends across the globe.
- 3. You expand your worldview.
- 4. Studying abroad gives you a competitive edge in getting jobs.
- 5. It’s a great way to learn a new language.
- 6. You’ll learn about yourself.
- 7. You’ll appreciate home more.
- 8. You’ll gain firsthand knowledge about a place you’ve never been to.
- 9. You learn about your major in applicable, interdisciplinary ways.
- 10. You’ll build your confidence and problem-solving skills.
For more information on how you can fund your education abroad, visit the Financial Aid website.