stethoscope Radiologic TechnologyNuclear Medicine TechnologyClinical Laboratory Science Health sciences
St. Cloud State University Health Sciences

Nuclear Medicine TECHNOLOGY Frequently Asked Questions

I am not an SCSU student and I am interested in majoring in Nuclear Medicine Technology at SCSU.  What should I do?

To become a student, the first step is to apply for admission to SCSU.  Please contact the admissions office.  Once you are accepted, you should sign up for a freshman advising day or a transfer advising day, as appropriate. Advising help is available on advising days. Next, you should declare your intended major as "Pre-Nuclear Medicine Technology." Then, follow the steps outlined in the next question below.

I am currently an SCSU student and I would like to be in the Nuclear Medicine Technology Program.  What should I do?

The first step is to declare your intended major as Pre-Nuclear Medicine Technology, if you have not already done so.  The second step is to see a Nuclear Medicine Technology academic adviser.  If you don’t have one already, please see the Advising Center for advising help and ask them to give you an academic adviser.  The academic adviser will help you plan what classes to take.  You will need to complete at least 24 credits (including Biology 151 and Chemistry 210) with an overall GPA of 2.50 or higher, and with at least 8 credits in residence at SCSU.  Then, you can fill out a Major-Minor Application Form.  Once approved, the form will change your major from Pre-Nuclear Medicine Technology to Nuclear Medicine Technology, and you will be admitted into the Nuclear Medicine Technology program.  Being “admitted” into the program does not guarantee admission into a clinical internship (which is required for the major).

Does admission into the program guarantee admission into a clinical internship?

No, sorry!

Can I do my clinical internship at any hospital?

No.  You can only do a clinical internship at the hospitals that are associated with SCSU.  Please see the information under "Clinical Affiliates."

What if I don't get a clinical internship?

There are two main options: (a) you can change your major; or (b) you can wait one year and try again.

What is job shadowing and is it required?

For Nuclear Medicine Technology, job shadowing is the process of spending time with Nuclear Medicine Technologists during their working day as they do their work and image patients. For the SCSU Nuclear Medicine Technology program, we require 12 hours of job shadowing, which should be done as soon as possible. Do not wait to do the job shadowing. You may do the shadowing at any hospital that does Nuclear Medicine imaging. Record your job shadowing hours using this form: NMDTJobShadowingReportForm (click on link to access Acrobat file). The form requires the signature of a supervisor in the department where the job shadowing was done. If you need a new copy of the form, always obtain the latest version here using the link provided.

Where can I do job shadowing in St. Cloud?

You can do the job shadowing at any hospital or clinic that does nuclear imaging. If you need a contact in St. Cloud, please feel free to contact Denise Patraw, St. Cloud Hospital. E-mail: patrawd at centracare dot com [replace "at" with "@" before sending, etc.].


Untitled Document