Frequently Asked Questions

I’m listed as pre-business, what does that mean?

Students who indicate interest in one of the business majors will be listed as “pre-business” until they have met all of the pre-business requirements and are officially admitted to one of the business majors.

Who is my advisor?

Pre-Business students are not assigned to an individual advisor. You are assigned to the Pre-Business Advising Office which means you can work with any available advisor.

How do I change my major?

When switching from one business major to another business major, fill out an application in the Pre-Business Advising Center in Centennial Hall 229.

How do I change my intended major?

Intended majors can be changed online at or by filling out a Change of Major form at the Records and Registration Office at Administrative Services Room 118.

Do I need to go to the University Advising Center for any reason?

Not if you are planning to major in business.

What is an access code?

If you are an undergraduate student and not yet officially admitted to a major, you must obtain a six-digit access code from your advisor before attempting to register. It is important to schedule advisor appointments at least two to three weeks prior to scheduled registration time.  The access code is used only once each term.

What is DARS?

DARS, or Degree Audit Reporting System, is a computer program that provides progress-toward-degree reports for students. A DARS report shows all of the requirements needed to receive a degree, and which courses are used to satisfy those requirements.

Where do I obtain my DARs report?

DARS reports are available for all students who have been admitted to St. Cloud State University and have selected an intended major (or have a declared major). An interactive version of your DARS report is available in e-services. Once logged in, click on "Grades and Transcripts" located in the menu on the left side of the screen. The degree audit link is located under the "Interactive Degree Audit Report" tab.

Where do I find more information regarding the English and Math placement testing?

You can obtain additional information from the Undergraduate Studies Placement Testing website.

What is the drop for non-payment?

Students shall have their registration canceled when payment is not made in full, as defined subsequently, by the established due date. For more information, go to:

Which of my transfer courses will SCSU accept?

As a general rule, courses numbered 100 or higher (or 1000 or higher for colleges that use 4 digit course numbers) that earn a grade of C or better will transfer from accredited colleges/universities (Grades of C- or lower may transfer if the student earns an Associate of Arts or Bachelor's degree, or completes the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum).

The Office of Records and Registration determines the transferability of courses from other colleges/ universities and in most cases will give the transfer course a SCSU course number. Courses that are not transferred as an SCSU course must be approved by the individual department that offers that course. The student is responsible for obtaining this approval.  Keep in mind that not all courses need to have an equivalency at SCSU to transfer. However, if you feel that a course should be equivalent to an SCSU course, you would need to complete the Business Course Transfer Request form to determine its transferability.

How do I transfer in a business course to SCSU?

Once a student is admitted to SCSU, the initial evaluation of credits is performed by the Office of Records and Registration. Classes that transferred to SCSU, but do not transfer in as a specific course number are usually placed in the university electives.

If a student feels, after reviewing the evaluation, that a class placed in the university electives should be equivalent to a SCSU class, the student needs to complete the Business Course Transfer Request form, provide the necessary documentation listed on the request form, and submit the information to the appropriate department.

How do I calculate my GPA?

There is a GPA calculator available for you at:

How can I get an "F" removed from my record?

An “F” will always show on your transcript; however, if you repeat a course in which you received an “F,” only the higher of the two grades will count in your GPA.

My GPA is 2.64 and the admission to major requirement says I need a 2.65 GPA.  Can I still apply?

No. The absolute minimum GPA is 2.65. This requirement cannot be waived.

Do I need to maintain a certain GPA to remain a SCSU student?

Yes. As an undergraduate student you must have the following minimum cumulative GPA based on credits earned, including developmental courses, attempted at SCSU. Cumulative credits in the various ranges include transfer credits accepted by SCSU:

  • 0-44 credits: 1.75 GPA
  • 45 or more credits: 2.00 GPA

What are the consequences to withdrawing or failing a class?

Students must maintain a 66.67% cumulative percentage of credits completed (CCR).  This means a student must pass two-thirds of all credits attempted at SCSU and credits accepted as transfer, including credits in developmental courses, to remain in good academic standing.  The following scenarios will lower a student’s CCR: withdraw (W), fail (F, FN, FW, U), incomplete (I), and repeating a course in which credit was already earned.  A completion rate calculator is available for you at:

What happens if my cumulative GPA or completion rate falls below the minimum?

Students whose cumulative GPA and/or completion rate falls below the minimum at the completion of any semester will be placed on academic warning for the next semester of enrollment. Failure to improve during the warning semester will lead to academic suspension. A description of the probationary terms can be found at Students on academic warning are required to meet with an advisor to discuss the terms of the probation.

How do I get an override to enroll in an upper division core class before I am admitted to my major?

Overrides are given by pre-business advisors if a student cannot complete a 15 credit schedule with their remaining liberal education and lower business core courses. Students need to have a GPA of 2.65 or higher and have MATH 196 complete to receive upper division overrides. You should contact a pre-business advisor for more information.

Can faculty let me into their classes if they are already full?

No. In the Herberger Business School, it is up to the department to grant a full-course override. Individual instructors do not have that authority.

I want to obtain two business majors, is that possible?

Yes. If you plan to graduate with two business majors, you must earn at least 24 different credits in each major. Thus, there is a limit as to the number of courses that can be double-counted between majors. Also, some major combinations may not be possible.

Can I double count a business core course if it also used in my major?

No. If you take a course that counts in your major and is also a business core course, you may use the course in only one area. Double counting a class between the business core and major is not allowed.


Untitled Document