Statistical Consulting and Research Center
If you are looking for help in drawing on the power of statistics to support your research, turn for that help to the staff of the Statistical Consulting & Research Center in St. Cloud State University's Miller Learning Resources Center (The Library). This free service is available to graduate and undergraduate students, faculty members and staff.
Staff members in Statistical Consulting & Research Support, a service offered by the School of Graduate Studies and located in Miller Center MC 212A, enjoy statistics. These people will help you design a survey to collect the information you need, and will do the computer work for you. You make the research decisions. They do the computer work.
The SCSU Statistical Consulting and Research Center enabled me to put quantitative theory into practice. From assistance in data collection design to the interpretation of my results, the Center enhanced my abilities and understanding of statistics and quantitative research.
Doctoral student '11
Here's what to expect
- Visit the Statistical Consulting & Research Support office (MC 212A) before you design and write your survey. Staff members will help focus your research and help develop an effective method for finding answers.
- After completing your survey bring the completed forms, and your data to the Statistical Consulting Office. Please make an appointment first.
- Based upon your discussion in the survey planning process and on the questions you want answered, the staff will design a series of computer programs to analyze your data. They even do the data entry for you! This step can take up two weeks. The size of your project and the work the staff has scheduled before yours arrives will influence how long you have to wait for results.
- The staff will run your data, analyze, and assemble the results.
- When completed you can return to the office to have the results explained. They will help you to interpret your results.
- You have the opportunity to return to discuss drawing further information from your data. The staff will perform follow-up analysis upon your request.
- Staff can also help you develop web-based surveys using our licensed SurveyMonkey application. They have experience in creating online surveys and will help you draw upon the unique aspects of this growing information-gathering process.
Outreach and Presentations
Invite a Statistical Consulting & Research Support staff member to a department meeting. They will explain their services, how they work with clients, and how they can be of help to your department members' research. SCRS staff are willing to make classroom presentations related to online surveys or graduate level research.
The Statistical Center supports faculty and student research by providing statistical software and data entry service. Some of the tools available include:
Statistical software including:
- SHAZAM Time Series
- SAS (on limited basis)
These tools are available on the various computer systems located at St. Cloud State University or other systems located within the Minnesota State Colleges and University System (MnSCU).
Statistical Consulting & Research Support is located in room Miller Center 212A. Office hours are posted outside MC 212. Generally, staff are available Monday through Friday, 9:00am - 4:00pm. The telephone number to call is 320 308-4709. The e-mail address is email@example.com.