Frequently Asked Questions
How do I access the new hiring system?
Click on this link to begin: https://www5.stcloudstate.edu/graduatestudies/gradassist/
- You will login with your StarID and password. A PDF of the instructional guide is available here (.pdf)
Who can access the system?
Only employees of SCSU can access the GA Hiring system to create position descriptions, GA appointments and completed employment requests and approvals. Students can access the system only to accept a GA position using the link provided in the appointment letter.
Can students new to SCSU access the system to accept positions?
Yes, The system requires that students login with their Star ID and password. New students can activate the Star ID and get help at STARID Self Service
I am the employment request initiator, should I appear on the list of approvers?
No. As the request initiator, you will automatically be considered an approver. After clicking on New Employment Request and identifying the student to be requested, you will be able to click on the approval tab (see page 16/17 in the instruction guide) and your name will appear on the "Request Created by" line and you can click the box to approve and move the appointment forward to the Chairperson/Director (if applicaple) or directly to the Dean or Vice President responsible for your units budget.
How do I set up the approvers?
Approvers, including a Chairperson or Person Responsible for the unit budget (if not the request initiator), and a Dean or Vice President, must be established for each Department or Unit hiring a graduate assistant, including grant and revenue accounts. See pages 4-5 in the Instructional Guide. If your area does not have a Chairperson or person between the initiator and the Dean/VP, notify Melanie at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can remove the Chair step.
How will my chairperson or Dean/VP know a request has been made and is waiting for approval?
The designated person responsible for the budget (whoever you entered as the approver) and the Dean//VP will receive email notification each Monday/Wednesday/Friday morning at 8:00 am if approvals are pending. If the approval is time sensitive, you may wish to provide the Responsible Person for the Budget or the Dean/VP the link https://www5.stcloudstate.edu/graduatestudies/gradassist/ to access the system. Approver instructions are on pages 18/19 of the handbook. Approvals can be completed anywhere with web access.
I have received a pending request email but when I login, I do not see requests? How do I find my requests?
Please verify that you are searching for requests in the correct fiscal year. Positions beginning after July 1 are pending for FY 2015. The system defaults to the current fiscal year FY 2014. Try updating the fiscal year and searching. If this does not work, please contact the School of Graduate Studies at 320-308-2113.
The system will allow a Proxy for the Dean/VP or Chairperson, should I set that up and who should that person be?
Deans/VicePresidents and Chairpersons can designate a proxy to review and approve GA employment requests. The proxy can be an associate Dean/VP, an Office Manager with access to the unit budget, or other employee designated by the Dean/VP or Chairperson. If your Dean/Vice-President, or Chairperson has not communicated a proxy to you, you should list the Dean or Vice-President and Chairperson as the approver.
My department or grant account is not listed, how do I proceed?
Contact the School of Graduate Studies at 308-2113 or email Melanie Guentzel at email@example.com with the 6 digit account number to be added to the system. We will notify you when your account is available for use.
Why do I need to include student learning outcomes in the position description?
Graduate assistantships support graduate student academic progress at SCSU and further the educational mission of SCSU. Assistantships should provide professional and academic learning opportunities as well as space to apply knowledge gained through the academic program.
What are the standard employment dates for 2015-16?
Fall 2015 August 18, 2015 – December 18, 2015
Spring 2016 January 6, 2016 – May 6, 2016
Can I use different dates when hiring a GA?
The standard employment dates represent a guideline for graduate assistants and employers. Departments and supervisors may identify different start and end dates based on position responsibilities. Single term appointment dates may not overlap (eg. a summer appointment must end prior to the start of a fall appointment). Please note: Full-term assistantships carrying the full stipend will typically begin prior to the 10th day of the semester. Those assistantships beginning after the 10th day of the term will typically have a pro-rated stipend.
When is Graduate Assistant Orientation?
GA Orientation is strongly encouraged for all new graduate assistants. Please notify students at the point of hiring of the date and time of orientation.
Tuesday, August 18, 2015, 5:00 - 8:00 pm, Cascade Room, Atwood Center
A make-up orientation for late hires will be held Friday, September 4, 1:00-4:00 pm.
- Identify funds to hire graduate assistants
- Allocation from School of Graduate Studies -- made annually to eligible units in Spring
- Colllege, School, or Division Funds -- May be Institutional Funds (M&E) or Revenue**
- Use grant** funds (must have been included in grant proposal, contact Sponsored Programs)
- **Units or individuals using grant or revenue funds must also identify funds to cover the tuition remission for each term of the appointment
- Enter a Position Description in the GA system (or copy and update from a previous year) post position/recruit applicants.
- Identify graduate student(s) to hire.
- Set up Approvers in the GA system (Chairperson/Director and Dean/VP).
- Enter Appointment into GA System for each student for which there are funds available.
- Create Appointment Letter and Email or Mail to the selected student(s).
- Student will need to accept the position before any further steps can be completed.
- Create an Employment Request for each student accepting a GA.
- Initiators approve the request.
- Send request to Chairperson/Director or person responsible for the budget (if applicable and not the initiator).
- Chairperson/Director will send the request to the Dean or Vice-President or Proxy for Approval -- Requests list will show Dean/VP as the next step.
- Dean or Vice-President approves and submits to School of Graduate Studies -- Requests list will show Graduate Studies as the next step.
- Registered graduate students with completed hiring paperwork (I-9, W-4) are entered in the Payroll system and marked as Complete in the GA system.
Why am I receiving a “Fiscal year assigned to the position does not match appointment year/term” error message when entering a new appointment for next fall?
The system is based on the Fiscal Year. If you did not save and attach a position description for the next fiscal year or if you forgot to change the year in the position description search box to the next fiscal year, you will have a discrepancy in fiscal years.