Graduate Student Life
Although graduate school can be consuming, effective stress-management demands down time. Explore the resources we have gathered to help you make the most of your life away from the desk.
Annual spring event at SCSU to recognize and celebrate our graduate students and their contributions to the school.
Graduate Student Brown Bag Lunch
Graduate student brown bag lunches are a great way to see your fellow students on SCSU's campus. After attending the School of Graduate Studies orientation for new students, you can see your friends and colleagues from other programs at these lunch days.Find out what fellow graduate students are doing in education, networking and the job market. Don't forget to bring your lunch!
Brown Bag Lunch Schedule
All Brown Bag Lunches during the 2013 fall semester will be held between 12:00-12:45PM in The Loft, downstairs Atwood Memorial Center next to Valhalla. Please look for the Brown Bag sign.
Fall 2013 Lunch Dates: September 11th, October 9th, November 13th, December 11th
Non-traditional students can find more information on the following link: http://www.stcloudstate.edu/nontraditional/default.asp
Graduate Student Organization
The graduate student organization is a link at SCSU for graduate students to:
- Meet fellow graduate students and participate together in campus activities (recreation, events, volunteering etc.)
- Link graduate students to opportunities to perfect professional skills (workshops, presentations etc.)
- create effective relationships between administration, faculty, and graduate students.
Date: Friday, October 4th
Time: 4:30 PM
Location: Apocalypse Room-Atwood
This organization is open for all university students and staff. If you are interested in joining, please see our student organization website Graduate Student Organization and our Facebook page Graduate Student Organization (GSO) at SCSU
Date: Thursday October 3rd
Time: 5:00 PM
Location: The Underground--Atwood
Cost: $2.00 per game, $1.00 for shoe rental
Come join your fellow graduate students in knocking down a few pins.
Living in St. Cloud
- Consider on-campus living at Coborn Plaza Apartments. They are conveniently located near St. Cloud's downtown area and feature a number of living accommodations.
- “The Best Things to do in St. Cloud
- The St. Cloud Area Conventions and Visitors Bureauprovides a list of attractions, activities, lodging, restaurants, shopping and transportation.
- The St. Cloud Times provides information about local news, weather, sports, business, entertainment and more at
Athletic Events and Tickets
- SCSU Athletics
- The St. Cloud Municipal Athletic Center is home to two baseball fields, two ice arenas, an executive Par 30 golf course, and the St. Cloud Riverbats-a summer collegiate baseball team.
The City of St. Cloud provides information about daily life in St. Cloud including recreational activities, information about refuge and recycling, parking, volunteer opportunities, local business information, city departments, employment, and an extensive list of helpful links for St. Cloud area residents.
St. Cloud Chamber of Commerce includes information about events, employment, cost of living, and local businesses.
As a St. Cloud State University student you have free access to all city buses.
The Metro Bus U-Pass Free Ride program allows all students and employees to have unlimited fixed route bus service throughout the four-city area (St. Cloud, Sauk Rapids, Sartell and Waite Park) to both St. Cloud State University (SCSU) and St. Cloud Technical and Community College (SCTC) campuses.
During the school year (including summer semester), all currently enrolled students and employees are eligible to ride any Metro Bus Fixed Route free by either using their SCSU student or employee I.D. or by using a SCTC Free Ride U-Pass (obtainable from the SCTC Book Stop with a valid I.D.). The U-Pass Free Ride program is paid for by the administrations and students of SCSU and SCTC, and Metro Bus.
The bus lines service many popular locations including shopping centers and grocery stores. The following link will take you to an interactive map of all bus routes. Check out http://www.ridemetrobus.com for more information.
The St. Cloud area has many locations that offer childcare. In addition to locations throughout the community, the Lindgren Childcare Centerprovides childcare on campus.
- Student Insurance https://www.uhcsr.com/stcloudstate
- For your on-campus medical needs, visit Student Health Services at http://www.stcloudstate.edu/healthservices/
- State Publicly-Funded Health Care Programs
Explore the following links for information on St. Cloud Area events:
- The searchable St. Cloud Times event calendar provides information about regional events.
- Pioneer Place on Fifth offers a coffee shop, wine bar, and a wonderful lineup of theater and music.
- Explore St. Cloud area nightlife, including bars, music, theater, sports, dining and family fun, at http://www.granitecountrynightlife.com/.
- The Paramount Theatre, located in downtown St. Cloud, is a historic venue for plays, music, movies and art classes and exhibits.
- Discover on-campus events through the University Programming Board.
- University Events Calendar provides information about athletics, cultural and entertainment events, as well as a listing of fine art exhibits and speakers.