Graduate education extends beyond the classroom. You are now a part of an exceptional academic community and we encourage you to take advantage of any of career-enhancing opportunities available within the University.
Professional development is the continued process of learning and growth throughout a career. Planning early and engaging in your discipline and in your personal and professional development are key strategies to ensure your success in graduate school and in the future job search.
Meet with your advisor to discuss your career aspirations, your strengths, and your weaknesses, and how to address them. In addition to professional development opportunities within your program of study, the following resources are available:
Professional Development Workshops 2015-2016
The 2015-16 professional development series is focused on developing as a healthy person and a successful professional.
Fall 2015 Workshop and Events Schedule
Mentors in Violence Prevention (MVP) Workshop
As part of a national and campus initiative we are teaming up with the Women's Center to offer this thought provoking workshop on gender violence prevention.
Monday, September 14th, 10:00am-10:50am, Atwood- Oak Room
- Resume Writing, Thursday, September 3rd, 11:00am-12:00pm, Centennial Hall 207
- Interviewing to Impress, Wednesday, September 23rd, 11:00am-12:00pm, Centennial Hall 207
- Job Searching Strategies, Monday, October 26th, 10:30am-11:30am, Centennial Hall 207
- Guide to Linked-In, Tuesday, October 13th and Thursday, October 15th, 2:00pm-3:15pm Centennial Hall 351
- Internship Search, Tuesday, October 10th, 11:00am-12:00pm, Centennial Hall 207
Take Advantage of these FREE Events Held on Campus
Fitness Free Week
-First and last weeks of the semester
Swimming Pool at Halenbeck Hall
-Lap Swim: Monday- Friday 12:00pm-1:00pm
-Lap swim: Monday-Friday 12:00pm-1:30pm
-Open Swim: Monday-Thursday 7:30pm-9:30pm, Sunday 6:30pm-8:30pm
Open Climbing Wall and Bouldering at Halenbeck Hall Fitness Center
Closed for Summer, Fall Hours listed below
-Sunday-Friday (excluding Thursdays) 6:00pm-9:00pm, Saturday 12:00pm-3:00pm
Open Skate in the National Hockey Center
-Monday-Friday (excluding Wednesdays) 12:00pm-1:30pm
For more information on free fitness events, check out the Sports Facility and Campus Recreation page.
View workshops offered and recorded in previous years
Career and Leadership Development Resources
Professional Development Websites
- Women on Wednesday (St. Cloud State University)
- How To Go To Graduate School with Five Children (and a Husband) (Utah State University)
- Tools for Success in Graduate School and Beyond (PDF) (University of Texas, Austin)
Check with individual program sites for student organizations and professional organizations. For a complete listing of links to individual programs, see Graduate Admissions.