The Geography program will prepare you for a career focusing on the physical and biological environment while receiving high-quality instruction in geospatial technologies, image processing and cartography. You will experience state-of-the-art technologies as you prepare for an emphasis in physical/environmental geography, urban/regional issues or tourism planning and development. Your studies will emphasize field work, including research overseas in countries such as Russia and China.
- Two graduate assistantship positions sponsored each year.
- Emphasis available in geographic information science or tourism planning and development.
- Small class sizes with professors dedicated to one-on-one mentoring.
- Classroom leadership opportunities.
- State-of-the-art Geographic Information Systems lab.
- Close to 100 percent professional employment for graduates others have been accepted into Ph.D. programs.
- Students have won awards at the Association of American Geographers national meetings.
- Graduates work in many federal, state and local agencies and in the private sector including: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Minnesota Department of Military Affairs, city of Minneapolis, Target, Xcel Energy, ESRI, National Resource Group LLC, GeoComm, North Point Geographic Solutions and more.
- Faculty have written nationally-acclaimed textbooks in Cartography and Geography of Russia.
- Faculty research interests encompass historical, cultural, economic, physical and environmental geography as well as the geographic techniques LIDAR, precision surveying, geovisualization, multivariate statistics, phytolith analysis and more.
|Fall||July 15||May 15||July 15|
|Spring||November 15||September 15||November 15|
Graduate DirectorDr. Mikhail Blinnikov
- GIS consultant
- System analyst
- GIS/Internet mapping
- GIS specialist
- Tourism planning
University Facts & Stats
- 60 graduate programs leading to graduate certificates, master’s and doctoral degrees
- More than 200 graduate assistantships awarded per year
- Graduate assistants receive up to a $9,250 stipend per year and tuition reimbursement for up to eight graduate credits per semester.