- Admission requirements
- Program details
- Course descriptions
Dr. Laura Finch
The Master of Science in Sports Management prepares students for professions in municipal recreation, campus recreation, public school activities director, collegiate athletic director, amateur and professional sports marketing or facilities director for private or public health clubs.
- Please be aware that with the growing interest in the Sports Management graduate program, admission to the program has become increasing competitive. You are encouraged to apply early for a fall semester start and also consider a spring semester start.
- A student's letters of recommendation, GRE and undergraduate GPA are weighted equally in the admission decision.
Length of Program - Measured by Semesters
- Part-time student: five to six semesters taking six credits per semester.
- Full-time student: three to four semesters taking eight to 12 credits per semester.
- The program has been designed for full-time and part-time students. Full-time students can expect to complete part of the course load in evening classes. The part-time student may complete the program through regular evening instruction and/or through summer session offerings.
Graduate Assistantship Overview
- Admitted degree-seeking students are eligible to apply for graduate assistantships. The opportunity to receive a graduate assistantship is available to everyone who is admitted to a graduate program. A student may apply during the admission process, but will not be hired until fully admitted.
- One graduate assistantship position is generally sponsored each year, and is available in the fall and spring semesters.
- The graduate assistant will work with the fitness wellness course, assist sports management faculty, and assist the instructor of record with undergraduate sports management program needs.
- Approximately 12 to 15 assistantships are offered through SCSU Athletics.
Supervised Internship (Plan C)
Students should consult the internship handbook prior to their beginning their internship search. The handbook provides the details of securing an internship site, the internship application, and requirements pertaining to the student's graduate committee. The internship application includes an approval form that is submitted to the Sport Management Graduate coordinator prior to accepting an internship and before the graduate committee proposal meeting.
All students must complete the following internship application requirements.
- Copy of Proposed Program of Graduate Study is completed and signed by the advisor and the graduate dean.
- Complete and submit internship application form to sport management graduate coordinator prior to accepting an internship and before the graduate committee proposal meeting.
- Obtain a grade of B or higher in all graduate coursework.