- Admission requirements
- Program details
- Course descriptions
Department: Special Education
Dr. J. Michael Pickle
Accreditations Specific to Program
- Council for Exceptional Children
- The department requires a pre-admission advising meeting once all application materials are received in the School of Graduate Studies. The meeting may take place in person, by phone or Skype. This is a crucial part of the admission process. A faculty advisor will meet with applicants individually to review their teaching and professional background to make recommendations on program fit and where a student may need to start in the graduate program curriculum.
- Applicants to the M.S. program should note that rolling admission is available.
- The program admits students for fall, spring and summer terms.
- For priority consideration, applicants are encouraged to apply by the deadlines posted. If space remains in the program, applications will continue to be reviewed after the posted priority deadlines.
Length of Program - Measured by Semesters
- Part-time students seeking licensure who already possess a Minnesota teaching license may complete most, but not all coursework during two summer semesters.
- Full-time Master of Science in Special Education students may complete course work requirements in day or evening classes and will be given priority registration.
Graduate Assistantship Overview
- Six graduate assistantship positions are offered for the academic year to students admitted to the master of science program.
- GAs assist in supervision of undergraduate field experiences or with assessment and assistive technology labs.
TEACH Grant Program
- The federal government is sponsoring a TEACH Grant program for up to $4,000 a year for graduate students seeking to become special education educators.
- To explore this opportunity visit SCSU's Financial Aid Office Web site at: http://www.stcloudstate.edu/financialaid/types/grants-teach.asp.
- Access additional details from the federal government at: http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/TEACH.jsp.