Reading Teacher K-12 (Graduate Certificate)
- Admission requirements
- Program details
- Course descriptions
Department: Teacher Development
Dr. Joanne Larson
The Reading Teacher K-12 graduate certificate program is a five course program for licensed teachers interested in becoming either specialized teacher of reading K-12 in their school districts or focusing on improving their own classroom instruction. The program incorporates the Minnesota Board of Teaching Standards for Licensure as a Reading Teacher (8710.4725). Special emphasis is placed upon effective instruction and assessment for K-12 students who are struggling with reading.
This program is offered through the Department of Teacher Development and leads to a Graduate Certificate in Reading Teacher K-12 through St. Cloud State University’s graduate studies program. In addition, the courses taken for the Reading Teacher K-12 Certification may be applied to a Master of Science in Curriculum and Instruction.
- The program is offered in North Branch, Minnesota and on the St. Cloud Campus.
- Provides advanced professional educational opportunities for licensed teachers.
- The program can be completed in five semesters, including summer sessions. A student takes one course per semester.
- Provides opportunity for teachers to develop professional networks.
- Admission decisions are made throughout the year as completed application files are received. Students may be admitted for fall, spring and summer terms.
- For summer semester 2014 - domestic applicants may apply through June 15.
Once admitted to the Teacher of Reading K-12 certificate program the student should meet with his/her advisor to complete the Graduate Certificate Program Form. After advisor approval, this form should be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies. Please note that any changes in the State of Minnesota certificate guidelines will take precedence and may result in changes in this process.
Process for Licensure Approval
- Candidate must complete all coursework as per the approved list of courses. If changes are made they must be approved and signed by the program coordinator.
- Candidate must obtain a score of 590 or better on the Reading MTLE examination. Candidate must designate SCSU as the University where MTLE score is sent.
- Candidate must obtain signed approval from the program coordinator to transfer courses taken at another institution that meet the requirements. These changes must be documented on the program form.
- Candidate must submit the following licensure application materials to St. Cloud State University's Office of Records and Registration, Attention: Rita Moore:
- Copy of certificate application.
- Completed, signed, and dated State of Minnesota Licensure Application and Conduct Review Form for an addition to a Minnesota Education License (obtainable from the Department of Education Web site: www.education.state.mn.us).
- Check payable to the Commissioner of Minnesota Department of Education for $57 for Licensure Fee.
- A separate check payable to SCSU for $5 for an official SCSU transcript. (The Registrar’s Office will request the transcript for you.)
- Photocopy of current Minnesota Teaching License.
- If applicable, original transcripts sent from all universities in a sealed envelope in which course work was approved by program coordinator.
- After all materials and examination score are verified, the application is sent to the State of Minnesota Department of Education for final approval of licensure.
Certain undergraduate and graduate certificates at St. Cloud State University prepare students for employment in specific fields and do not result in a degree. Federal law requires publication of data associated with those programs of study, including approximate program costs, program length, and employment statistics. The Minnesota State Colleges and University's (MnSCU) Chancellor's office has provided this report containing the aforementioned information for all required programs.