- Dr. M. Blinnikov is the Graduate Advisor - call (320) 308-2263 or e-mail him
- Find out program details at the official SCSU Graduate Bulletin site
- Graduate School application forms, etc. - all things you need to apply online
- List of Geography Faculty Members and their expertise
- List of previously completed MS Theses topics and advisors (1964-2005)
We offer two graduate degree programs:
- M.S. in Geography: GIS Emphasis
- M.S. in Geography: Tourism Planning and Development Emphasis
With any of these, the thesis option (A, 30 cr.) is the most common one, one can also do a portfolio option (C, 36 cr.) with the regular MS in Geography without a thesis, when the project in question is an applied one, or you can choose to do a "starred papers" option (B, 32 cr.) based on literature sources, rather than original data.
There is also a GIS Graduate Certificate available (not an MS degree, requires completion of 5 500-level courses for a total of 15 credits). This is a good option for full-time professionals, who cannot or do not want to pursue a formal thesis program.
We have about 30 graduate students currently enrolled. Limited number of graduate assistantships is available annually on a competitive basis.
We are always happy to see you in person and answer your questions about our graduate program. Some courses (especially GIS-related) are offered in the evenings or on Saturdays to help students who work full time.