Serving as a Peer Mentor is a prime opportunity to assist incoming first-year students in their transition to the university while developing your leadership and community building skills. We invite you to expand your world with this unique opportunity!
· Assist first-year students in their transition to university life throughout their first semester
· Provide a positive connection between SCSU and new incoming students
· Assist instructors in college transition courses (HONS 100 and 106 or COLL 150 and 110)
· Provide support for other first year programs, as needed
· Attend Spring retreat, Friday, March 28, 2014, 12-4pm
· Complete all independent summer training exercises
· Attend all Fall training, August 17-19, 2014
· Throughout the fall, at least one hour of in-class contact with your students each week
· Outside of class contact with your students one-on-one and in small groups
· Assisting faculty partners in support of class assignments
· Work on average 6 hours a week
· Be an undergraduate SCSU student.
· A desire to learn about and explain aspects of university life
· Available to attend at least one day of class each week for your mentee course
· Have completed a minimum of 24 credits by the end of the spring 2014 semester and have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50.
· A desire to positively represent SCSU in a professional manner
· Confidence in public speaking and/or desire to develop presentation skills
· Strong interpersonal communication skills
· Ability to work independently and creatively problem solve with your peers
· Peer Mentors earn an $800 stipend.
· Develop peer leadership and community building skills.
· Develop great working partnership with faculty.
· Make a positive difference for first year students in their first semester.
· Peer Mentors gain an amazing experience to include on their resume!
Questions about being a mentor?
Contact Christine Metzo at firstname.lastname@example.org or (320)308-5299
Login with your HuskyNet credentials to begin your application at: https://myscsu.stcloudstate.edu/sites/UniversityCollege/Forms