Become a Peer Mentor!
Serving as a Peer Mentor is a prime opportunity to assist incoming first-year students in their transition to the university while developing your leadership and community building skills. We invite you to expand your world with this unique opportunity!
- Assist first-year students in their transition to university life throughout their first semester
- Provide a positive connection between SCSU and new incoming students
- Assist instructors in college transition courses (HONS 100 or COLL 150 and 110)
- Provide support for other first year programs, as needed
- Attend Spring retreat, Friday, April 19, 12-4pm
- Complete all independent summer training exercises
- Attend all Fall training the week of August 18 (exact schedule TBD)
- Throughout the fall, at least one hour of in-class contact with your students each week
- Outside of class contact with your students one-on-one and in small groups
- Assisting faculty partners in support of class assignments
- Work on average 6 hours a week
- Be an undergraduate SCSU student.
- A desire to learn about and explain aspects of university life.
- Have completed a minimum of 24 credits by the end of the spring 2013 semester and have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50.
- A desire to positively represent SCSU in a professional manner
- Confidence in public speaking and/or desire to develop presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and creatively problem solve with your peers
- Peer Mentors earn an $800 stipend.
- Develop peer leadership and community building skills.
- Develop great working partnership with faculty.
- Make a positive difference for first year students in their first semester.
- Peer Mentors gain an amazing experience to include on their resume!
There are three steps to the application process:
- Complete and submit the online application.
- Request one reference using our reference form.
- Gayle R. Clark will contact you if you are selected for an interview to be held either Tuesday, January 29 or Thursday, January 31 from 3-5:00 p.m..
DEADLINE for all materials to be submitted (steps 1, 2 and 3): Tuesday, January 22, 2013