Financial Aid Office
Types of Financial Aid


American Indian Scholarship and Grants
There are two primary sources of scholarship or grant funding for American Indian students:

  • Federal Bureau of Indian Affairs: The awards are made by individual tribes. Students need to contact the tribe with which they are affiliated or enrolled for specific information and application forms.
  • Minnesota Indian Scholarship Program: Students must be a Minnesota resident, who can verify at least one-fourth degree blood quantum of American Indian ancestry. Students must apply to their home tribes or agencies in addition to the Minnesota Indian Scholarship Program.

Apply online at the Minnesota Office of Higher Education. Application forms are also available in the St. Cloud State University American Indian Center or the Financial Aid Office. Students must apply for federal and state financial aid before Indian scholarship agencies can determine eligibility for funding. It is important to apply early as many agencies have deadlines for consideration.

More information can be obtained by contacting the Minnesota Indian Scholarship Program:

Minnesota Indian Scholarship Program
1450 Energy Park Drive
Suite 350
St. Paul, MN 55108
Telephone: (651) 642-0567 or 1-800-657-3866
Fax: 651-642-0675

Some specialized funding programs are available for American Indian students pursuing areas of study in which there is a shortage of professionals. More information is available from the Indian Health Service, Bemidji Area IHS, Federal Building, Room 115A, 522 Minnesota Ave NW, Bemidji, MN 56601, (218) 444-0486.

Return to the "Grants" overview page.

Untitled Document