Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid
Specific Populations

Undocumented Students

Eligibility for federal and state financial aid depends on your status as the student.

  • If you are a U.S. citizen or national, a permanent resident, or an eligible non-citizen - even if your parents are not - you are eligible to apply for federal and state aid and should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • If your parents do not have a valid social security number (SSN), they should enter 000-00-0000 (all zeros) as their SSN on the FAFSA. The parents should not use a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) or an SSN that is valid for work purposes only.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security policy, known as "Deferred Action", for individuals under age 31 has no impact on current federal law governing higher education. Please review the MnSCU list of "Deferred Action" FAQs.

Federal financial aid is not available for undocumented students. State financial aid may be available for certain eligible, undocumented students. There may also be private scholarship and loan options to assist with your educational costs.

Return to "Specific Populations" Overview

Untitled Document