Financial Aid Office
Specific Populations

International Students

If you are in or will be in the U.S. on a non-immigrant visa, you are not eligible for federal student aid. A non-immigrant visa includes: F-1, F-2 or M-1 Student Visa, B-1 or B-2 Visitor Visa, J-1 or J-2 Exchange Visitors Visa, H series or L series Visa (which allow temporary employment in the U.S.), or a G series Visa (pertaining to international organizations). Individuals with only a “Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464) cannot receive federal student aid. However, you may qualify for other forms of assistance.

  • Academic and Cultural Sharing Scholarship: Committed to quality education and international vision, the university provides qualified international students with the Academic and Cultural Sharing Scholarship that entitles the student to pay resident tuition. This is a unique opportunity for international students as few public universities offer such a financial and cultural bonus to qualified international students who might otherwise not be able to afford a U.S. education. As you participate in the cross-cultural exchange activities, you will have the opportunity to interact with U.S. citizens, receive a quality, affordable education, and share your country and culture with others. The Academic and Cultural Sharing Scholarship opportunity is not available to Masters of Business Administration (MBA) graduate students since all MBA students - residents, non-resident, and international - pay the same market rate. If you have any questions regarding the Academic and Cultural Sharing Scholarship, please contact International Students and Scholar Services, at

  • Student Employment: Student employment positions are posted online at You must have a current profile in order to be able to search for open positions. Remember - international students are not eligible for off-campus employment unless they file a petition for Severe Economic Hardship (SEH) with the U.S. government. Contact the Center for International Studies for additional information on SEH.

  • Loans: Private loans may be available to international students. Many of these loans require a credit-worthy cosigner who is either a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident. Contact the individual lender for specific information.

Return to "Specific Populations" Overview

Untitled Document