Financial Aid Announcements
Scholarship and Financial Aid Scams - Watch Out!
The start of each financial aid year brings out many scholarship and financial aid scams.
If you receive a letter or email encouraging you to apply for scholarships or financial aid other than from the U.S. Department of Education (Federal Student Aid) or St. Cloud State University, beware...it may be a scam.
Signs of a scholarship or financial aid scam:
- The letter or email is from an agency or company other than the U.S. Department of Education (Federal Student Aid), St. Cloud State University, or a school you listed on your FAFSA
- You are asked to complete a Student Aid Profile or a similar form with identifying information
- You must pay a "processing fee" - remember, applying for scholarships and financial aid is free
- You are asked to provide a credit card number
- The company's website ends in anything other than ".gov" or ".edu"
Beware of fafsa.com - you will be charged a fee for your FREE Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)!
When in doubt, contact our office or visit the Federal Student Aid website.
More Financial Aid Announcements