Since coming to SCSU in 1989, Jim Robinson has travelled to Akita, Japan six times through his work as a full participant in a wide variety of international exchanges involving Japanese students, professors, universities and other educational institutions:
- Academic advisor for over 40 English exchange students from Akita University through the Akita University-SCSU International Agreement;
- Program director for the 12 years of the Akita Summer ESL Camp;
- Program director for seven years of the LAMP (Link Akita Minnesota Professionally) Program; and
- SCSU TESL Coordinator for TEFL Internships at Minnesota State University at Akita.
He has also hosted five different Japanese visiting scholars at SCSU and continues to maintain his professional contacts in Japan with both Akita University and Akita International University.
His publications related to Japan include:
- Cultural Translations for TESL/TEFL Teachers, in Transpacific Exchanges: A Collection of Academic Papers in Honor of Dr. James H. Robinson, Akita University, Akita, Japan, 2002.
- Contrastive Rhetoric and the Japanese Student, in Transpacific Exchanges: A Collection of Academic Papers in Honor of Dr. James H. Robinson, Akita University, Akita Japan2002.
- Iwareru and Meiwaku: A Comparative Analysis of Japanese and American Communicative Styles, (with M. Saito) MinneTESOL Journal 1995-96.
- The Importance of a Good Kibun in the ESL Classroom (with Alex Fisher), MinneTESOL Journal 10 1992.