Throughout his academic career, Jim has been honored with a number of awards, scholarships and grants.
- his academic career was begun with the award of a Dissertation Grant by the Fulbright-Hays Program to complete his doctoral research in Korea in 1980;
- In 1991, he received an Outstanding Faculty Award from SCSU;
- In both 1993 and 2000, he received the Professor of the Year the from Kappa Delta Phi student society teacher education;
- In 1994, he was awarded the prestigious George Z. F. Bereday Outstanding Scholarship Award by the Comparative and International Education Society;
- In 2002, he received the College of Fine Arts and Humanities’ Award for Advancement of Student Success; and
- Most notably, in 2001, Akita University honored Jim by inviting him to Japan to give two talks that were later published in a collected work titled: Cross-Cultural Perspectives of language learning: A Collection of Academic Papers in Honor of Dr. James H. Robinson.
More recently, Jim wrote a MnSCU e-curriculum grant that has allowed the TESL MA program at SCSU to offer a full range of 12 courses online and so allow distance learning students to access the TESL MA program online.