MSUAASF - Filling a Fixed-Term, Temporary MSUAASF Position
A fixed-term appointment is for a limited period of time, normally 12 months or less. The President may extend it for an additional 12 months. The responsible supervisor should seek qualified individuals for such opportunity.
Types of Fixed-Term/Temporary MSUAASF Searches:
- Abbreviated Search Process (for fill-in for leave of absence or sabbatical)
In the recruitment of fixed-term and temporary positions follow the steps established for a MSUAASF Probationary Search Process with the following three exceptions.
- Recruitment need only be at the regional level with an advertisement placed in major regional newspapers, and
- A two to three week time frame is sufficient for regional advertising.
- Except for local candidates, only telephone interviews shall be conducted for fixed-term and temporary positions.
- Emergency Search Process (for short-term (less than full year) staff may be initiated in cases of illness, death, sudden resignation (less than 30 days), failed search, or other circumstances where time precludes either a regular or abbreviated search)
- The department/unit will request (in writing) a waiver of normal affirmative action policies with the Director of Affirmative Action and provide the Affirmative Action Office with an explanation of:
- The reasons for the waiver request;
- what recruitment strategies the department/unit will make;
- in what publications they will advertise,
- what organizations they will contact,
- what other attempts the department/unit will make to ensure a successful search process, etc.
- As far as possible, candidates will be selected from an available pool of applicants.
- Interim Appointment (may be requested if suitable candidates are available)
The Interim Search is identical to the MSUAASF Probationary Search Process with the following two exceptions:
- Recruitment is done internally, usually through University email, mailing of Notices of vacancy to various selected groups and appropriate posting of Notices of Vacancy.
- A minimum of two-week time frame is sufficient for advertising.