Departments must ALWAYS begin by completing a Request to Hire form and send it to the hiring manager's (dean/associate provost/athletic director) office for approval. Hiring Manager will then enter a NEOGOV Requisition for approval routing for all requests to fill or rehire faculty on a temporary basis. You must have NEOGOV user access and permissions in order to enter a requisition. Contact Human Resources x83203 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions and to request a Requisition User Guide.
Faculty/Coaches – Fixed-Term, Non-Probationary (FTNP)
For replacement or recruitment of temporary faculty, identify the type of search necessary based on the need for temporary faculty as defined below:
(for faculty/coach hired to fill in for faculty on leave of absence or sabbatical or for fixed-term faculty who have completed fourth year as an FTNP and a rollover is not permitted per IFO contract)
- In the recruitment of fixed-term, non-probationary positions, follow the steps established for a regular Full-Time, Probationary/Tenure-Track Faculty Search Process with the following three exceptions:
- Recruitment need only be at the regional level with an advertisement placed on the web (SCSU & MnSCU Employment Opportunities) and if desired, in a major regional newspaper; and
- A two- to three-week time frame is sufficient for regional advertising.
- Except for local candidates, only telephone interviews shall be conducted for fixed-term positions.
(for faculty/coach hired in the case of illness, death, sudden resignation with less than 30 days notice, failed search or need to additional class sections or other circumstances where time precludes either a regular or abbreviated search. Note: Sabbatical leave is not an acceptable reason to do an emergency search.)
- Requests for an emergency search must be accompanied with reason. The department chair will request (in writing via the Faculty Request to Hire form) to their hiring manager (assoc. provost/dean/athletic director) and include a request for waiver of affirmative action policies with the Equity & Affirmative Action Officer (EAAO) and provide the EAAO with an explanation of what recruitment strategies the department/unit will make.
- The request should include:
- reasons for the waiver request;
- what recruitment strategies the department/unit will make;
- in what publications they will advertise,
- what organizations they will contact,
- what other attempts the department/unit will make to ensure a successful search process, etc.
- The dean's office will prepare a NEOGOV Requisition and route it for approval.
- Where possible, candidates will be selected from an available pool of applicants (i.e. recent FTNP search within last six months or adjunct pool).
- Emergency search appointments are not renewable and a regular FTNP or tenure-track search must be organized for a normal appointment.
Part-Time Faculty - Adjunct Instructor Pool
Creation of Adjunct Pool (for part-time faculty teaching 10 credits or less per academic year)
- At least every 24 months, each department must create a viable adjunct pool. Begin by requesting authorization to request adjunct pool creation or refresh.
- The Dean’s office staff will need to create an online Requisition in NEOGOV/Online Hiring Center on behalf of the college/school or department. List the individual departments in the Requisition in the Comments area.
- The Requisition is routed electronically for approvals for Faculty positions in the NEOGOV system.
- Once approved, the pool is created by placing the adjunct advertisement on the web (SCSU & MnSCU Employment Opportunities) and in a major regional newspaper or other online source. Follow these steps:
- Submit the ad to Equity & Affirmative Action Office (EAA) for approval prior to ad placement.
- Once approved, Human Resources (HR) will post the ad on SCSU/NEOGOV and MnSCU Employment Opportunities websites.
- The department may also place an ad in a regional newspaper on online source. HR will assist in the placement of the ad, but the college/school or department is responsible for the cost of the newspaper or other online ads.
- Applicants will apply ONLINE in NEOGOV via the St. Cloud State University Employment site http://agency.governmentjobs.com/stcloudstate/default.cfm and provide the required components for a complete application: cover letter indicating area of interest, curriculum vitae, copies of transcript(s), and contact information for three current, processional references. Only complete applications will be considered.
- A screening committee will be established by the department(s) and names forwarded to HR. This screening committee will then receive instructions, confidentiality form and information, and access to NEOGOV.
Maintain confidentiality of deliberations, records and applicant information as per Minnesota State Data Practices Act. Click on this link to a short video from MnSCU regarding the law and confidentiality issues in searches. Please forward the link to all screening committee members and have them review it. This will provide some basic concepts and fundamental law.
- HR will set up and grant access to NEOGOV to the members of the screening committee(s) for online application screening AFTER a screening tool is created and approved by EAA (see #6).
- The screening committee will create a screening tool/form and send it to EAA for approval. Applicants for the pool must be screened using an approved screening form at a pre-determined cut-off date or as each adjunct position presents itself. Adjuncts who have taught in the past should also be invited to apply and will be screened and listed on the Applicant Flow Analysis (see Step 7) along with any new applicants. NOTE: NO ENTRIES REGARDING CANDIDATE DISPOSITION SHOULD BE ENTERED IN NEOGOV.
- A listing of all applications received should be forwarded to the EAA using the Applicant Flow Analysis for Adjuncts (AFAA) form. Specific reasons for non-selection must be included for those not chosen. Only after the AFAA is reviewed and approved by the dean and EAA, may an offer of employment be extended.
- Following approvals, an Unclassified Employment Request Form must be submitted to Human Resources for each adjunct hire (along with the completed copies of official transcripts for Master’s level positions and original transcript for PhD level positions) PRIOR TO THE EMPLOYMENT START DATE. This form must be complete and must include all of the appropriate information and department chair signature for an adjunct hire (including account to be charged, appointment dates, course number(s), number of credits, appointment percentage of FTE, and any special considerations). The form and attachments (printed by dean's office staff) is routed for signatures by the Dean, EAA and Provost and then to HR who will then process the contract for the adjunct.
- If a new adjunct is chosen (never worked at SCSU prior), the department office manager should email Karla Shangrow in Human Resources email@example.com with the name and contact information of the new hire. Karla will contact the new hire to schedule I-9 completion and orientation.