Process for Filling New or Current MMA (supervisory) Positions
Supervisors are asked to work with Human Resources during this process to ensure civil service hiring policies and procedures are followed.
- Request to Create/Fill New Position
- Complete Request to Hire Approval Form (leave “position number” blank).
- Create a position description for new position; consult with HR for classification advice.
- Human Resources mails the audit packet to MnSCU requesting position be classified.
- Request to Fill a Current Vacancy
- Complete Request To Hire Approval Form.
- Ensure position description is current and accurate - if any changes are made, consult with HR.
- Campus Posting
- Position is posted on campus for 10 days. Qualified supervisors in the same class can indicate interest in writing in the position.
- All qualified supervisors in the same class that express interest shall be considered. An interested supervisor that requests an interview shall be granted one.
- Layoff List and Claiming—work with HR
- If a Seniority Unit Layoff List exists for the class, selection shall be made from qualified supervisors on that list. If no such list exists, a qualified supervisor may exercise claiming rights. Supervisors in other classifications may transfer or be promoted.
- Vacancy Builder/MMB (Minnesota Management & Budget)
- Concurrent with or following the campus posting, Human Resources completes "Vacancy Builder" and posts vacancy to MMB web site.
- Upon completion of MMB posting, Human Resources provides supervisor with list of resumes for review.
- Screening/Interview Committee Makeup
- Supervisor screens resumes to ensure candidates meet the minimum qualifications; HR will offer assistance if needed.
- Interview committee composition is at the discretion of the supervisor and all interview committee members must sign the Confidentiality Agreement prior to viewing resumes.
Click on this link to a short video from MnSCU regarding the law and confidentiality issues in searches. Please forward it to all search committee members and have them review it. This will provide some basic concepts and fundamental law.
- Application Review / Interviews / Selection
- Applicants’ resumes will be reviewed by supervisor and/or interview committee.
- A practical number of eligible applicants will be selected for interviews (consult with HR).
- HR will provide direction on Affirmative Action –supervisors are responsible to factor diversity into hiring decisions.
- Interview questions and selection format will be approved by HR.
- Other selection tools that may be used are references, performance reviews.
Contact for a reference with the current or most recent supervisor of a finalist applicant is expected.
- Selection will be made to hire the most qualified candidate.
- If an applicant is not a US citizen or U.S. permanent resident, include Human Resources in the interview schedule (15 minutes). Call 308-3203 to arrange. See Foreign National section for more detailed information.
- All selection related documents/documentation including interview notes, reference notes, and the resume list will be sent to HR for filing. Supervisor will mark each resume on the MMB list with Not Qualified, Interviewed, or Others More Qualified prior to returning it to HR.
- Salary Calculation/Offer
- Department will consult with HR regarding salary. Salary may depend on years of experience, market forces, education, etc. HR must approve salary prior to offer. Consult with HR regarding start date and other new employee requirements that may apply.
- Hire/Payroll Deadlines
- Selection of candidate must be made within 180 days of the MMB posting date or vacancy will have to be reposted to the MMB website.
- Candidate will be scheduled by the supervisor to meet with HR on the first day of employment to complete new hire paperwork, orientation, benefits overview.