Process for Filling New or Current AFSCME Positions
Effective August 28, 2014, all requests to fill new or existing positions must be accompanied by a Hiring Freeze Exception Request form.
Supervisors are asked to work with Human Resources during this process to ensure contract and civil service hiring policies and procedures are followed.
- Request to Create/Fill New Position
- Complete Request To Hire Approval Form (leave “position number” blank).
- Create a position description for new position; consult with HR for classification advice.
- Human Resources mails the audit packet to MnSCU requesting position be classified.
- Vacancies can only be cancelled due to lack of funding.
- Request to Fill a Current Vacancy
- Complete Request To Hire Approval Form.
- Ensure position description is current and accurate - if any changes are made, consult with HR.
- Vacancies can only be cancelled due to lack of funding
- Internal Posting for Bidding
- Position is posted for 7 days for lateral bidding by current employees in equal class but different work area, different shift, or different employment condition.
- Human Resources accepts bids and provides names to supervisor in seniority order.
- Selection via Bid Process
- Interview by panel. No AFSCME staff may sit on interview panel. Interview by seniority if there are eligible bidders.
- Other tools available for selection: performance reviews, references, resumes.
Contact for a reference with the current or most recent supervisor of a finalist applicant is expected.
- Selection from the bidding process must be completed within 4 weeks of the posting end date.
- Vacancy Builder/MMB (Minnesota Management & Budget) if not filled through bid process
- If there are no bidders or bidders withdraw, Human Resources completes "Vacancy Builder" and posts vacancy to MMB web site.
- Upon completion of MMB posting, Human Resources provides supervisor with list of resumes for review.
- Screening/Interview Committee Makeup
- Supervisors screen resumes to ensure candidates meet the minimum qualifications; HR will offer assistance if needed.
- Interview committee composition is at the discretion of the supervisor. For promotional vacancies, AFSCME members cannot be on the committee.
- All interview committee members must sign the Confidentiality Agreement prior to viewing resumes.
Click on this link to a short video from MnSCU regarding the law and confidentiality issues in searches. Please forward it to all search committee members and have them review it. This will provide some basic concepts and fundamental law.
- Application Review / Interviews / Selection
- Applicants’ resumes will be reviewed by supervisor and/or interview committee.
- A reasonable number of applicants will be selected for interviews (consult with HR).
- HR will provide direction on Affirmative Action –supervisors are responsible to factor diversity into hiring decisions.
- Interview questions and selection format will be approved by HR.
- Other selection tools that may be used are references, testing, performance reviews.
- Selection will be made to hire the most qualified candidate.
- If an applicant is not a US citizen or U.S. permanent resident, include Human Resources in the interview schedule (15 minutes). Call 308-3203 to arrange. See Foreign National section for more detailed information.
- All selection related documents/documentation including interview notes, reference notes, and the resume list will be sent to HR for filing. Supervisor will mark each resume on the MMB list with Not Qualified, Interviewed, or Others More Qualified prior to returning it to HR.
- Salary Calculation/Offer
- Department will consult with HR regarding salary. Salary may depend on years of experience. HR must approve salary prior to offer. Consult with HR regarding start date and other new employee requirements that may apply.