If there is a tornado/severe weather warning signal – a steady tone of 3 minutes – proceed to the nearest shelter area – see building/floor evacuation routes and shelter areas indicated on floor plans posted in each campus building and:
- Take cover immediately.
- DO NOT use telephone to obtain further information – keep phone lines open. Authorities will broadcast available information on radio and television.
- Take leadership and assist others as you move to shelter areas.
General Guidelines in Case of Tornado:
- Be familiar with location of buildings that are designated or can be used as a shelter.
- Keep away from doors and windows.
- DO NOT remain on top floor of any multi-story building.
- Restrooms, stairwells and interior hallways are good shelters; basements are best.
- If you become trapped in your office or a building, stay away from windows and crawl under any sturdy object, such as a desk or conference table, and protect your head and eyes.
- If you cannot hear warning signal in a building, report and/or call SCSU Public Safety (308-3333).