If you encounter a hazardous material spill, leak or situation:
- Evacuate the area
- Initiate your building’s emergency evacuation plan.
- Use the fire alarm if there is an immediate hazard and the entire building needs to be evacuated, or notify those in the affected area if only a partial evacuation is needed.
- Shut off electrical equipment if possible and if it is safe to do so.
- Proceed to emergency exits; DO NOT use elevators.
- Help those needing assistance.
- Stay up-wind and uphill from any hazardous vapor, gas or liquid.
- Report the spill
- Call 911 and/or SCSU Public Safety (308-3333)
- State the emergency.
- Provide your building address ( see CAMPUS MAP/BUILIDNG ADDRESSES) and exact location in that building.
- Report any known injuries.
- Report the name, description and amount of material spilled, if known.
DO NOT go back into an area where a chemical spill has occurred.