This page will help you find information on how to obtain a passport and visa information, if you need it. There is also information on hostels and discount travel.
- U.S. Dept of State Passport Information and Application
- Within St. Cloud, passport applications may be processed through Stearns County
- The passport application fee is $67. The execution fee is $30. The total is $97.
- Routine processing of passports takes 6-8 weeks. Expedited services are available for an additional fee.
- Processing times can vary depending on workload and occasional unforeseen circumstances such as natural disasters. During busier times, such as the summer travel season, we encourage customers to expedite their applications if traveling in less than 8 weeks.
- Passport Photos may be purchased through Copies Plus.
- Lost or Stolen passports should be reported to the nearest US Embassy or Consulate immediately.
- If you have any questions about passports please contact CIS.
- U.S. Dept of State Visa Information and list of Country requirements.
- For SCSU sponsored Education Abroad programs, the staff at CIS will assist students with the visa process. Visa fees are included in overall program costs. More details will be available at pre-departure orientation.
- For non-SCSU participants, it is the responsibility of the traveler to obtain visas, where required, from the appropriate embassy or nearest consulate of the country you are planning to visit.
- Check with your program provider to learn if they assist with this process.
- Processing and visa fees vary, and most are not refundable.
Railpasses are a great way to travel when visiting Europe. If you plan to spend several days seeing numerous countries this is usually the most cost efficient. However, if you are on a limited trip (under a week) and plan to see only 1-2 areas, it is usually best to look at buying direct tickets versus the pass.
- Find ticket and rail prices at Eurail or RailEurope
- Railpasses must be purchased in the United States
Discount airfare is a great way to expand your travel area while abroad. Numerous websites offer great deals and travel packages including STA Travel, EasyJet, Ryan Air, JetBlue, etc. SCSU sponsored programs typically include roundtrip airfare from Minneapolis.
Hostels/Youth Hostel Cards
This pass will entitle you to take advantage of inexpensive youth hostel accommodations anywhere in the world. A youth hostel may be anything from a remodeled villa, a basement of a home, or a log cabin on the side of a mountain. In any case, they are typically clean and cheap.
- Stop in the Resource Room (Lawrence 110) to apply for your Youth Hostel Card
- Find hostels available for your travel destination
- http://www.discounthotels.co.uk/ - great for finding discount hotels anywhere in the world; recommended by previous students
Money: Budgeting and Exchanging
- You should contact your bank and credit card companies before you leave the country and let them know that charges will be coming from overseas.
- ask these companies if there are any additional surcharges to withdraw money overseas
- ask about the limit you can withdraw per day or about any other security holds that might cause problems
- Be careful what kinds of cash machines that you choose to use. International hotels are a good place to find safe ones.
- Exchange rates often change daily. Check out today's rate.
- Give a trusted relative or friend access to your account so they can help you if there is a problem.
- Consider Power of Attorney.