Medical & Travel Insurance

As mandated by the University, all programs require health insurance coverage for the duration of the program. The Education Abroad Office includes medical and travel insurance in each program fee. It is the Premium Insurance offered through the International Student Identity Card (ISIC) and more information about coverage can be found below.


International Student Identification Card (ISIC)

All students enrolling in a St. Cloud State Education Abroad program will purchase the International Student Identity Card (ISIC) and pay for it through the program fee for the program. The card provides emergency medical evacuation and repatriation insurance for $68/year. Visit coverage page.

The card also entitles you to special privileges and discounts including reduced or free admission to museums, theatres, cinemas, concerts, and cultural and historic sights. New benefits for ISIC cards include discounts on international phone calls on AT&T's USA Direct Service and discounts on wiring money with American Express. Always show your card when buying tickets for events to see if they might give you a discount. Possible discounts are rarely advertised so be prepared to ask. The card is valid for one year from the date it is issued.

ISIC card fees are included in the program fee for all SCSU students and faculty participating in SCSU sponsored Education Abroad programs. For non-SCSU participants the ISIC card is included with the application fee.

The card can also be used for students participating in independent travel, so please stop into the Education Abroad Office to learn more.

Download an ISIC application


Liability Insurance

Travelers should consider purchasing liability insurance prior to departure, which will cover them for any damage to property and lost or stolen items while overseas. Check with your family's homeowner's insurance or rental insurance, which may also provide coverage for items such as laptops, cameras, etc.

Untitled Document