Department of Criminal Justice Studies - St. Cloud State University

Department of Criminal Justice - School of Public Affairs

Masters Advising FAQ

Click on each question to view the answer.



Q: [+/-]How do I apply to the Criminal Justice Master's Program?


  • First, you must apply to a graduate program, such as the Criminal Justice program, by submitting an application to the School of Graduate Studies.  Application materials can be accessed through the School of Graduate Studies website:

    You should follow all of the instructions on the graduate application and include the additional materials that are required for admission.  For example, you should include a statement of interest and objectives in pursuing graduate studies (a one- to two-page paper explaining why you are interested in the program), as well as three recommendation forms from professional colleagues, supervisors, or professors.  Recommendation forms can be retrieved by accessing
  • There is a $35.00 application fee.  Payments should be made in the form of a check or money order and payable to St. Cloud State University.  This fee is not refundable.
  • You may turn in your application prior to receiving your test scores and recommendation letters; however, your application will not be considered until all of the materials have been received.
  • One copy of ALL of your transcripts must be mailed directly to the School of Graduate Studies.  These must be official copies that are mailed by the registrar of the college or university you previously attended.  Students who graduate from Saint Cloud State University are not required to have their transcripts sent to the School of Graduate Studies office.
  • You must take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), and your scores must be submitted to St. Cloud State University.  You may set up a time and date to take the GRE at the Atwood Testing Center in the Atwood Memorial Center:

Atwood Testing Center
St. Cloud State University
Atwood Memorial Center Room A219
720 4th Avenue South
St. Cloud, MN 56301

Office phone: (320) 308-5456
Office fax: (320) 308-6133

The application deadlines vary by program and are posted at:

All application materials should be sent to:

School of Graduate Studies
St. Cloud State University
121 Administrative Services
720 Fourth Avenue South
St. Cloud, MN 56301-4498

Q: [+/-]If my undergraduate degree is in a field other than Criminal Justice, can I still apply for the Criminal Justice Master's program?


  • Yes.  As stated in the St. Cloud State Graduate Bulletin, “the Master of Science in Criminal Justice is designed to serve the needs of persons with no prior criminal justice employment experience or with no undergraduate degree in the field of criminal justice who wish to prepare for careers in law enforcement, corrections, administration of justice, or an allied area.” 
  • Students with no previous academic or employment experience in the criminal justice field will NOT be required to complete extra coursework for the Criminal Justice Master’s program.

Q: [+/-]If I am eligible for the Graduate School at SCSU, does this automatically mean that I am admitted to the Criminal Justice Graduate Program?


  • No. Admission and acceptance into the SCSU Graduate School does not mean you are automatically admitted to the CJS Graduate Program. A student will not be admitted into the CJS Graduate Program until after CJS Department review of the student's application, and its approval by the Director of the CJS Graduate Program. Once these steps are completed, the student is officially admitted to the CJS Graduate Program.
  • Before being accepted by the Graduate School at SCSU, students holding a Bachelor's degree are permitted to complete one academic term of graduate coursework or up to six SCSU graduate credits as a "special student." However, it is important to note that it is possible that your Criminal Justice advisor may not accept these credits as part of your program. Therefore, it is critically important that you work closely with your "tentative" CJS advisor early in your graduate degree program to avoid taking unneeded courses.
  • You must be admitted to the Criminal Justice Graduate program before you complete 16 SCSU graduate credits. However, all of these courses may not be accepted as part of your proposed program of study. In order to avoid such a situation, meet with your CJS graduate advisor early in your graduate program.

Q: [+/-]What specific admission requirements are considered for the Criminal Justice Graduate Program?


  • Undergraduate GPA is closely reviewed.
  • Admission decisions are made as completed application files are received.
  • Students must meet all the application procedures for graduate school at St. Cloud State University before being admitted to the criminal justice program.
  • Students who do not meet standard admission requirements may be permitted to demonstrate their scholarship and qualify for acceptance by completing a limited program of graduate course work (probationary status).  Contact the School of Graduate Studies or Dr. Prout, the director of the Criminal Justice department, if you are interested in enrolling as a graduate student in this alternative program.

Q: [+/-]As an international student, do I have to complete additional admissions requirements?


Q: [+/-]Once admitted and accepted into the CJS Graduate Program, how do I go about obtaining a Criminal Justice faculty advisor?


  • The CJS Graduate Program Director makes Department Graduate Advisor assignments. On the application to the Graduate Degree Program, a student can request that a certain professor be assigned as his or her advisor. It is recommended that the student inform CJS Graduate Program Director of an advisor preference so that CJS Graduate Program Director can comply with the student's wishes, if possible, when making advisor assignments. However, even if a student requests a certain professor as an advisor, that professor must also agree with this arrangement. Those students who do not indicate an advisor preference on their application will have one selected for them. Your Graduate Advisor will be assigned as soon as you are admitted to the CJS Master's Degree Program. At the time a Graduate Advisor is assigned, a meeting should be scheduled with the Criminal Justice Department Graduate Advisor to discuss which degree program the student is interested in pursuing, the appropriateness of this choice, (i.e., Thesis or Practicum/Portfolio) and which program would best fit the needs of the student. Note that your CJS Graduate Advisor's role is to offer you sound advice on the Master's Degree Program and curriculum.
  • You may change your advisor by utilizing the Change of Advisor form located on the School of Graduate Studies, Current Students Forms page

Q: [+/-]When (How often) should I contact my advisor?


  • Newly admitted Graduate Students should contact their advisors prior to their first semester to discuss program options and the specific needs of the student. Additionally, students are encouraged to speak with their advisors at least once per semester to discuss degree progress and to make sure they are effectively working towards the completion of the degree.
  • Although most advisors maintain regular office hours, many prefer that students set up appointments in advance. This will ensure that adequate time can be set aside to fully discuss the needs and concerns of the student. The best forms of contact are through E-mail and voice mail.

Q: [+/-]What does it mean to be a Graduate Student?


  • The School of Graduate Studies website is a valuable source of information for newly admitted students. Information on the website includes tips on utilizing campus services and planning of the course of study.
  • The following PowerPoint presentation from the School of Graduate Studies website explains what to expect as a Graduate Student.
    • Being a Graduate Student

Financial Aid

Q: [+/-]How will I pay for my degree?


  • There are several different ways to fund a Master’s degree including Financial Aid and Graduate Assistantships. 
    • Financial Aid for graduate students includes loans, employment, and scholarships.  Unlike Undergraduate Students, Graduate Students are not eligible for grants.
      •  In order for the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid to determine loan eligibility for graduate students, a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed by the student.  This form can be completed electronically at   Near the end of the FAFSA, the student must enter the Federal School Code that corresponds with the college that he or she is planning to attend.  By entering the correct Federal School Code, the information entered will be sent directly to the mentioned college.  St. Cloud State University’s Federal School Code is 002377.
      • A detailed description of campus employment opportunities can be reviewed by accessing the employment section of the financial aid website at
      • Scholarships are available to interested applicants who are planning to attend or are already attending St. Cloud State University.  To determine available and applicable scholarships, students should utilize the St. Cloud State Scholarship Search at
      • Graduate Assistantships are academically-related employment appointments reserved for graduate students.  At St. Cloud State, there are three types of assistantships: program assistants, research assistants, and teaching assistant positions.  Students who are hired as a Graduate Assistant (GA) will be paid a salary and will also receive a tuition waiver for up to eight credits per semester during the academic year.  A detailed description of St. Cloud State Graduate Assistantships, including openings, application materials, handbook, and policies, can be viewed through the Graduate Studies’ webpage at The Graduate Assistantship application can be accessed electronically at  or can be picked up at the School of Graduate Studies office in AS 121.

Q: [+/-]How can I apply for graduate assistantships and scholarships?


  • Prospective students may access the graduate catalog to apply for graduate assistantships and scholarships.  U.S. citizens/residents and international students have separate forms to fill out.  Graduate Catalog:
    The graduate catalog also provides prospective students with general admission requirements, admission timelines and deadlines, the application for graduate school, and additional information on the GRE and GMAT examinations, as well as a new student orientation.

Q: [+/-]What is the cost of tuition?


  • The cost of graduate tuition varies according to the number of enrolled credits, course type, residency and reciprocity eligibility.  For an up-to-date, detailed description of graduate tuition, including student fees, please refer to the Graduate Catalog which can be accessed electronically at

Transfer Students

Q: [+/-]I have graduate credits from a previous academic institution. How do I transfer those credits to St. Cloud State, and how will I know when and how they transfer?


    • A maximum of 10 semester credits completed at other accredited universities may be considered for application to the master’s degree. Additionally, the School of Graduate Studies has the following guidelines for graduate program transfer credits:

Acceptable as a Transfer Credit: To be accepted as transfer credit and applied towards a SCSU graduate degree, the following conditions must be met:

  • Credit must be from a regionally accredited educational institution that is approved to offer graduate degree programs in the major field where the credit was earned at the time the credit was earned.
  • Credit must be appropriate to the student's program.
  • Course evaluation and approval by the student's major adviser and the School of Graduate Studies is required.
  • At time of transfer, credit must be officially recorded on the approved program form.

Not Acceptable as a Transfer Credit: The following will not be accepted as transfer credit:

  • Correspondence, individual or similar study.
  • Credit earned at a location in Minnesota through a university headquartered in another state or country.
  • Credit for courses conducted by proprietary groups.
  • Credit applied towards another degree.
  • Extended campus credit from a university that does not accept that credit for its own on-campus graduate programs.
  • Workshops, continuing education courses and in-service training credits.

Additional Transfer Guidelines:

  • The grade recorded for these credits must be a B or above, or an S or P in S/U or P/F grading systems.
  • No transfer credit can be accepted that was earned more than seven years prior to completion of the degree.
  • For the fifth-year program, a maximum of 10 semester credits of graduate and advanced undergraduate work earned after the awarding of a bachelor's degree may be accepted. A grade of C or better must have been achieved in the courses.
  • With the prior approval of the graduate adviser and the graduate dean, a maximum of 16 semester credits of appropriate graduate credit may be transferred from other universities of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System and applied to a program at St. Cloud State University.
  • When transferring credit to a specialist degree program, a minimum of 20 of the last 30 credits must be taken at this institution.
  • After the student's program of study has been approved, no additional transfer credits will be accepted unless the student has received prior approval via the petition process.
  • Any questions or concerns about the transferability of credit earned at other institutions should be directed to the School of Graduate Studies before a student enrolls for that credit.
  • The student must request that an official transcript be sent directly to the School of Graduate Studies by the institution awarding the credit. Official transcripts submitted from other institutions are for use in the applicant's admission process and pursuit of the degree at SCSU. These transcripts, or copies of them, cannot be issued to the student or other institutions.

Transfer Students

Q: [+/-]Can I complete the Criminal Justice Master's degree online?


  • Yes.  The Criminal Justice Master’s degree at St. Cloud State can be completed online coordinated by the Center for Continuing Studies.

Q: [+/-]I want to know the course requirements of a specific online class prior to registration. Aside from the instructor, where can I find online course requirements?


Q: [+/-]My course description suggests that I will need to complete proctored exams. What is a proctored exam?


  • A proctored exam is an exam that must be administered by a supervisor to ensure the integrity of the exam.  Students who are able can complete proctored exams in the Center for Continuing Studies on-campus. 
  • Students who need to complete a proctored exam on-campus must schedule an appointment through the Testing Center at the Center for Continuing Studies at
  • Students who take proctored exams on-campus must bring a form of photo identification.  If a form of photo identification is not provided, the appointment will be cancelled and must be rescheduled for a later time.

Q: [+/-]Can I take my online exams out-of-state or out-of country?


To fill out Monitor Request Form:

  • Download the Monitor Request Form (PDF) .
  • The form must be filled out completely. Use one form to list all courses and exams. Your Monitor must sign the form or it will not be accepted. Your request may be delayed if any of the information requested on the form is missing or you do not follow the guidelines in selecting a monitor.
  • Within one week after we have approved your monitor request, your test materials will be mailed. If your monitor request is not approved, or if we have any questions about your monitor, we will email you at your HuskyNet account.
  • All testing must be completed at a testing facility (University, Community or Technical College).

    If you live in Minnesota click here to locate a campus near your home:

If you live outside the state of Minnesota or you do not live near a MnSCU testing facility, you must find a University, Community or Technical College near you. The monitor you choose must have a four-year Bachelor's Degree, and cannot be a close friend, relative or direct supervisor. Click here to find a Testing Center near you:
Students are responsible for paying any proctor fees incurred, which includes providing the proctor with a postage-paid envelope for mailing the exams back to our office. Exams must be mailed back to our office as soon as the student is done taking them. The proctor is not to hold on to the exams. The exams must be mailed from the proctor’s office.

Q: [+/-]What is D2L?


  • Your online course can be accessed through a program called Desire2Learn (D2L). You do not need any special software for this, only a computer and Internet browser. The majority of your course materials, syllabi, and online discussions or testing (required by some classes) will be housed inside D2L. Once you have officially registered for the course and have activated your HuskyNet account, you will be able to enter D2L and access your syllabi.

Q: [+/-]Who do I contact with problems with my D2L account?


  • For assistance in accessing D2L, contact the Technology Helpdesk at 320-308-2077 or the Helpdesk web page at: Only contact the Help Desk if you are experiencing problems accessing or logging into your D2L. If you have questions on the materials for your course, please contact the Continuing Studies Office, 320-308-3081 or
  • For more information on D2L, log on to the website and look under Student Resources:”

Degree Options

Q: [+/-]What are the different degree options available?


Students admitted to the Criminal Justice Master’s program may either choose to complete Plan A (Thesis) or Plan C (Professional Portfolio).  Students interested in Law Enforcement may either choose to solely complete the law enforcement requirements or incorporate the requirements into a Criminal Justice Master’s Degree.  The Public Safety Executive Leadership Program (PSEL, CJS) is a separate program designed for mid-level managers in public safety.



Students pursuing the Plan A option are required to complete a minimum of 15 credits in research courses, CJS 660, CJS 689, and a minimum of 15 credits in specialization courses for a minimum total of 36 credits.  A Master’s thesis and final oral defense of the thesis are requirements for degree completion.



Students pursuing the Plan C option are required to complete a minimum of nine credits in research courses, CJS 660, CJS 689, 12 credits in applications and implementations courses (practicum), and a minimum of 15 credits in their specialization for a total of 42 credits.  The final product prepared by the student is a professional portfolio.  Preliminary and final oral examinations over the professional portfolio are required. 

Please refer to the St. Cloud State Graduate Catalog for up-to-date curriculum requirements.  The Graduate Catalog can be viewed electronically at

What is a practicum?

An internship at the undergraduate level is the equivalent to the practicum at the graduate level.  Students who choose to pursue Plan C will choose an advisor-approved practicum site that facilitates the student’s career goals.

What are some examples of graduate-level practicum sites?

Criminal Justice Studies has 130 practicum sites in various local, state, and federal agencies.  Some examples include:

Law Enforcement - City, County and State Police Departments, Private Security, Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA), Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), U.S. Secret Service, Defense Intelligence Agency, U.S. Customs and Border Patrol, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF), and more.

Institutional and Community - based Corrections - County, State, and Federal Probation and Parole Agencies, Department of Corrections (DOC) Minnesota Correctional Facilities (8 adult facilities, 2 juvenile facilities), Halfway Houses, Residential Facilities, Chemical Dependency Counseling, Group Homes, and more.

Rehabilitative and Victim Services – Chemical Dependency Facilities, Victim Services (Anna Marie’s), Sheriff’s Department, and more.

Legal - Local, Regional, National and International Law Firms, Corporations, Judicial Clerkships, County Attorney’s Office, Private Practices, and more. 



I am interested in becoming a Licensed Peace Officer in Minnesota. What qualifications must I have?

    • Please see the Peace Office Licensure Advisory: Minimum Selection Standards sheet for the minimum qualifications required to be a Peace Officer in Minnesota provided below.

Download the Peace Office Licensure Advisory: Minimum Selection Standards Sheet at

Media Site Live on Becoming a Police Office in MN:

Media Site Live Video on Beginning your PPOE Program:

Media Site Live Video on Completing your PPOE-POST:

How many graduate level credits is Skills worth?

Skills is not worth any college credits for graduate students; however, students may obtain graduate level credits from the prerequisite courses for Skills.  These prerequisite courses include:

  • CJS 531: Criminal Procedure (undergraduate: CJS 431), which is worth three graduate credits, and
  •  CJS 521 and CJS 522, the Peace Officer Standards and Training courses (undergraduate: CJS 421 and 422), which are worth one graduate credit each. 
  • Students with Bachelor degrees are advised to take the Skills prerequisites at the graduate level for a total of five graduate credits.


What additional admissions requirements are needed to enroll in the PSEL program?

      • Students who earned a Baccalaureate degree in related disciplines, including Social Sciences, Business Administration, and Education from an accredited institution are eligible for the PSEL program; they must submit an official transcript reflecting that they have earned a Baccalaureate degree. 
      • Complete the Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
        (Admissions also considers professional experience and goals, as well as academic achievement as reflected in the student’s Baccalaureate degree) 
      • Applicants must submit two letters of recommendation from current public safety agency supervisors.
      • Have two or more years of experience in a public safety agency
      • The applicant must be employed full-time in a public safety agency.
      • The applicant is required to include a statement of intent not exceeding five typewritten, double-spaced pages describing his or her prior education, relevant professional experience, career goals and how the Public Safety Executive Leadership Program may help them achieve those goals.
      • Complete a SCSU Graduate School application ($35.00 nonrefundable application fee)


Who should attend the Law Enforcement Executive Development Seminar (LEEDS)?

      • Police chiefs and sheriffs from departments of 50 or fewer sworn officers
      • Deputy chiefs, chief deputy sheriffs, and captains and lieutenants from larger departments or agencies who supervise a large number of people.
      • Sergeants and below may apply but will only be accepted based on the availability of seats.

Please do not register for this course unless you meet the above criteria.  Questions may be directed to Dr. John Campbell, professor of Criminal Justice and director of the PSEL program. 

Dr. John Campbell
(320) 308-2985

Q: [+/-]What are the career benefits of a Master's degree in Criminal Justice?


A Master’s degree in Criminal Justice can:

      •  Prepare people currently working in the field for advancement into management and administrative positions.
      • Allow for higher starting salaries for those people entering the field of Criminal Justice.
      • Prepare students for careers in public policy and research by providing skills in statistics and research techniques.

Program Planning


All CJS Master's Degree candidates are advised to complete their three "Research" area courses, CJS 660 and CJS 689 during their first year of graduate study. Conditional Admission students are required to complete three Research courses and one additional course first in their program.

  1. CJS 677 Framing and Analyzing Research Problems.
  2. CEEP 678 Graduate Statistics
  3. CJS 679 Research in Criminal Justice.

Q: [+/-]What is the purpose of a "Proposed Program of Study Worksheet"?


  • This "Proposed Program of Study Worsheet" form is your "contract" with the CJS Department and SCSU Graduate School, describing how you will pursue and complete, with a 3.0 or (above) grade point average, your Master's Degree course requirements.

Q: [+/-]Is there a deadline for completion of this Worksheet?


  • It should be completed as early in the first year of graduate study as possible; and in all cases, before 16 graduate credits are completed. Courses not included in this worksheet may not be accepted as your Master's Degree elective courses.

Q: [+/-]To whom do I submit the completed Program Plan Worksheet?


  • After consultation with your CJS Department Advisor about your academic goals, degree type and timeline, one copy of your completed Program Plan Worksheet must be signed by your advisor and delivered to the SCSU Graduate School for review and approval.

Q: [+/-]What is a culminating project?


  • A culminating project is the final requirement for completion of a master’s degree. Graduate students in criminal justice are required to complete either a thesis or practicum. The School of Graduate Studies has additional information regarding the culminating project.

Q: [+/-]Who comprises my graduate committee?


  • You may recommend faculty members who are willing to serve as the first reader and committee members of your Thesis or Practicum Committee. When recommending committee members, select individuals with whom you are compatible. Two members of this committee (including the first reader) must be full-time Criminal Justice faculty. The third member you recommend must be a graduate faculty member from another department within the University.
  • Your Criminal Justice Master's Thesis or Practicum first reader will not necessarily be the same person as your CJ Graduate Advisor. Try to mesh your interest area with a CJS faculty member's area of expertise. Consider the faculty member's availability, reasonableness, and the opinion of other CJS Master's Degree holders who have had that faculty member as their mentor.
  • Discuss with your first advisor appropriate choices for your other committee members.

Q: [+/-]What is a proposal for a Thesis/Practicum?


  • A proposal is a document submitted by you to your first reader and eventually to your Committee, which outlines the purpose and components of your major independent project for your Master's Degree. The proposal states specifically what you plan to do in order to complete your Thesis or Practicum project requirements.

Q: [+/-]When should my proposal be submitted?


  • A proposal should be submitted according to the timetable agreed upon by you and your first reader. Revisions of the proposal with your first reader, and completion of your Preliminary Conference with your full graduate committee must be completed at least one semester prior to the semester of your anticipated degree completion.

Q: [+/-]Who is involved in approving my proposal?

  • You must present and orally defend your proposal of thesis or practicum project(s) and have it approved by your three member graduate committee before formally beginning work on your project. This usually means meeting with your first reader several times to review and to revise your proposal.
  • Normally, a proposal goes through three or four drafts. You should expect at least four weeks between the submission of the first draft and receipt of your first reader's approval of the proposal. Once approved by your first reader, you will then meet with your committee to defend your proposal (The Preliminary Conference). At this time, the committee members will decide whether to approve or to require a revision of your proposal.

Q: [+/-]Are there any other requirements for the proposal process?


  • Yes, but these requirements will vary by advisor. Contact your advisor to see if they require any additional steps regarding the proposal process.

Q: [+/-]When are the Preliminary and Final conferences scheduled?


  • Your Preliminary Conference will be scheduled with your three member graduate committee after your first reader approves your Thesis or Practicum Proposal. The Preliminary Conference must be completed at least one semester before the semester of your anticipated degree requirement completion. The Final Conference takes place after your first reader and your graduate committee has read the drafts of your Thesis or Practicum final reports.

Q: [+/-]What happens after receiving the first reader's approval for my Final Thesis Conference?


  • Once your first reader has approved a draft of your Thesis, you submit four copies of it to the Graduate School, along with your request for a Final Conference. You would be wise to request a format check of your draft from the Graduate School Office Reviewer at this time. Generally, the Graduate School requires the Final Conference to be completed at least three weeks prior to the end of the semester. Check the academic calendar for deadlines for conference scheduling.
  • Revisions may be required by the Final Conference Committee before approval to the graduate student is given. With reference to Thesis, after Committee approval, at least four content-and-format-perfect copies, for binding, must be delivered to the Graduate School by the stated deadline.

Accessing Materials

Q: [+/-]What is HuskyNet and how do I activate my SCSU e-mail account?


  • HuskyNet is the technology that connects you to your world, at SCSU and beyond. Use your StarID (username) to log into our technology features, including your SCSU e-mail account, online courses, the campus wired and wireless networks, and personal File and Web storage space. HuskyNet provides your on- and off-campus technology to help you make the most of SCSU.
  • Activate your StarID to get access to HuskyNet services

Q: [+/-]Who do I contact with problems with my HuskyNet?


SCSU’s Help Desk can solve many technology related problems with your HuskyNet. Ways they can assist you include:

    • Activating your StarID (username)
    • Configuring your laptop for HuskyNet Wireless
    • Using and managing your SCSU e-mail and File/Web Space
    • Learning how to use a computer or storage device
    • Installing Symantec AntiVirus software
    • Removing spyware and viruses from your laptop
    • Using and troubleshooting software
    • Recovering lost or corrupted files

Q: [+/-]How do I register for courses?


  • Once on the e-Services page click on the link for “Courses and Registration.” Under the list of available options, select “Find a Course.”
  • Select the course you wish to enroll from the drop-down menu and make sure to have the correct semester selected.
  • Next, you have two options:
    • You may register for the class immediately if your registration window is open.
    • If your registration window is not open yet, you may still select courses as described above and place them in your course cart for the semester you selected. Then, when your registration window opens, you can simply go to your course cart, select all the courses you plan to register for and then finalize your registration.

Q: [+/-]Where can I find the books needed for my registered courses?


  • Obtaining a list of your required textbooks and course materials may be found at Husky Books Express

Books may be purchased or rented for the semester in person or via the Internet from any campus bookstore:

Q: [+/-]How do I check my grades?


  • Once on the e-Services web page click on “Grades and Transcripts.” Under that heading “Check Grades” will be listed. Select the semester from the drop-down menu that you would like to check grades for and click “Continue.”

Q: [+/-]What is a Degree Audit Report?


  • A Degree Audit Report can be accessed through e-Services. This report keeps current track of each student’s academic progress. The report will list which degree requirements have been completed and which have not. The Degree Audit Report is found under Grades and Transcripts on the e-Services page. .

Q: [+/-]How do I access my tuition statement?


  • To access your account, log in to e-services:
  • Click on: Bills and Payments
  • Select: Full account detail  

You can either pay your bill online, by calling the Business Services Office, 320-308-4012, or by mailing your payment to: SCSU, Business Services Accounts Receivables-AS 122, 720 Fourth Ave S, St. Cloud, MN 56301. For further information, visit the Billing and Payment web page.

Student Resources and Networking

Q: [+/-]I need help researching and writing my papers. Where can I go for help?


  • The Writing Center is a good resource for on campus to work with tutors to create better work.
  • RefWorks is a web-based program available to students that can help in organizing bibliographies for papers as well as providing additional support for large projects.
  • Ask A Librarian is a 24 hr / 7 day per week resource for undergraduate and graduate students to contact a librarian. Here you can email, call, chat, or set up an appointment with a librarian. This service is good for help with questions regarding research resources both on-campus and through an inter-library network.

Q: [+/-]How do I become more involved with the Criminal Justice Program and fellow CJ classmates at SCSU?


  • Try becoming involved in the student based organization, Criminal Justice Association (CJA).  The CJA meets once a month and often has guest speakers and other community activities.  For more information please see the Criminal Justice Association website.

Untitled Document