- The department will study the curriculum recommendations of professional associations and external reviewers and will modify programs and courses to reflect these recommendations, St. Cloud State University student needs, and departmental expertise and resources.
- The department will continue to make teaching excellence a priority.
- The department will strive to improve the success rate of our students while maintaining quality standards of performance by refining placement and advising techniques, enforcing course and program prerequisites, and providing developmental and review opportunities for students with mathematical deficiencies.
- The department will continue to develop and implement programs which attract and retain qualified students.
- The department will continue to identify and will attempt to acquire computer facilities and other technology needed to support faculty and courses in our major and minor programs and in our service courses.
- The department will continue to develop and maintain quality workshops, courses, and graduate programs in mathematics in order to serve teachers within the region.
- The department will encourage faculty to provide services in and outside of the department.
- The department will encourage faculty to pursue new ideas in mathematics through study, applied and/or theoretical research and the maintenance of professional contacts beyond our campus.
- The department will continue to develop and maintain quality courses that serve other programs within the university. These include courses that offer opportunities for every student at St. Cloud State University to acquire mathematical competencies set by the general education requirements.
Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates from the undergraduate mathematics programs at St. Cloud State University will:
- Demonstrate mastery of a body of mathematical knowledge.
- Reason mathematically.
- Apply mathematics to solve problems using analytic, graphing and numerical methods.
- Communicate in the language of mathematics, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the breadth of mathematics and the connections between mathematics and other disciplines.
- Undertake individual, creative work.
In addition, BS graduates will:
- Integrate an understanding of mathematics with an understanding of teaching.