The Communication Studies Department is located in Riverview - the only campus building on the National Register of Historic Places representing the University's past, present and future. On September 16, 2010, St. Cloud State University’s Riverview Hall was awarded a Restoration/Rehabilitation Award from the Preservation Alliance of Minnesota. The upgrades cost $4.5 million, took a over a year to complete, and included bringing the building into compliance with modern safety and accessibility codes. Technology upgrades added a computer lab and so-called smart classrooms. A classroom was also renovated to look as it did in 1911. Outlook, St. Cloud State's Alumni magazine, ran an article in the Summer 2010 edition about the restored Riverview.
The goal of the Communication Studies program is: To extend the knowledge, appreciation and skills that contribute to the full understanding and practice of effective communication in careers, relationships and communities.