SCSU Climbing Wall
The SCSU Climbing Wall opened on January 20, 2005 in the new Student Recreation Center. The wall has over 2100 square feet of climbing surface is a combination of integrated granite replica panels which includes an overhang, negative pitch, corner climbs and a series of crack elements.
The second portion of the wall includes a 40’ traverse wall, and a large wood portion coated with a textured surface featuring a chimney climb, multiple negative pitches and a ceiling wall to wall feature. The wall offers 10 climbing stations and is Central Minnesota's premier indoor climbing facility.
Climbing shoes are offered for a rental fee and instructional programs are available for a nominal fee. Additionally Outdoor Endeavors provides outside groups opportunities to rent the facility for school & church groups, corporate, and business incentives along with other specialized programming.
GROUP RESERVATIONS are ONLY scheduled outside of open hours. We cannot accommodate groups during open hours.
Community users must hold a current semester climbing wall pass or be sponsored by a student or membership holder to access the climbing wall during open hours and pay the $6 Guest Services Pass.
- Community Climbing Wall Passes Now Available!
- Climbing Skills Clinics
- Women that Rock! - This program has been discontinued due to Fee Allocation Committee budget reductions
Hours of operation
Winter Break Hours (Coming Soon)
Fall / Spring
|Mon-Fri||6:00pm to 9:00pm|
|Saturday||12:00pm to 3:00pm|
|Sunday||6:00pm to 9:00pm|
|Mon/Wed/Fri||5:00pm to 8:00pm|
Spring Break 2012 (March 3-10)
|Monday-Friday||5:00pm to 7:45pm|
Hours will vary according to holidays, academic year breaks and facility events. Please see updates at Building Hours.
For Group Rentals, please call 320-308-3772 for more information and to make your reservation today!
|FREE to SCSU students with valid ID
Non-Student & Community Rates
|Guest Services Pass||$6/person|
|Semester Climbing Pass||$50/person|
|Climbing Shoe Rental||$3/person|
|Up to 10 participants||$70 hour|
|Up to 15 participants||$90 hour|
|Up to 20 participants||$130 hour|
|GROUP RESERVATIONS are ONLY scheduled outside of open hours. We cannot accommodate groups during open hours.
* We can host Birthday Parties, Retreats, Employee Wellness Programs, and Instructional Programs at the group reservation rates.
* These programs are available outside of normally scheduled hours
* Contact us at 320-308-3772 for more information
All prices include set up & take down time and only reflect direct programming time. It also includes a 1:5 facilitator to participant ratio. Additionally, add on services such as food & refreshments can be arranged with advance notice.
|*All climbers must have current release forms signed. Minors require the signature of a parent or legal guardian.
* Rules are posted at the climbing wall. Outdoor Endeavors staff will enforce these rules and reserve the right to limit privileges if necessary.
* Group reservations and clinics start promptly at the time indicated. There are no refunds or extended programs for individuals or groups that are late.
* Every attempt is made to be flexible with scheduling group reservations. Outdoor Endeavors reserves the right to charge for the actual number of climbers or for groups that no show.
GROUP RESERVATIONS are ONLY scheduled outside of open hours. We cannot accommodate groups during open hours as they are reserved for student priority hours.
Campus Recreation Facilities Request Form
Community User Access
Community users must hold a current semester climbing wall pass or be sponsored by a student or membership holder to access the climbing wall during open hours. Additionally the $6 Guest Service Fee must be paid and presented to the climbing wall staff.
All participants utilizing the SCSU Climbing Wall must have a current release on file with Outdoor Endeavors. If a participant is under 18 years of age, a parent or guardian must read & sign the waiver before presenting it to the Outdoor Endeavors Staff. Release forms are kept on file for 1 year and must be completed again after that period is up. The Climbing Wall staff can look up the date of your release form.
Climbing Wall Skills Clinics & Belay Certification
Belaying is the act of controlling rope given to a climber and controlling the climbers descent with the aid of climbing hardware. Outdoor Endeavors trains participants to belay in the Rock Climbing Skills Clinics listed below. In order to belay climbers at the wall you must be certified to belay at our facility using our equipment and the belay techniques we recommend. In order to obtain a Belay Certification Card, climbers must do the following:
- Participate & successfully complete a Climbing Wall Skills Clinic
- Complete the Climbing Wall Skills Test
- Have in possession your Belay Certification Card
Belay Skills Recertification
Belay certification is valid for one calendar year. Climbers must annually complete Belay Skills Recertification during our normally scheduled Climbing Wall Skills Clinics. In order to do this you must register for the Belay Skills Recertification and pay $5 for the process. The recertification process is outlined below.
- Register for Climbing Wall Recertification ($5) on dates we are offering clinics
- Present Outdoor Endeavors staff with previous certification card
- Meet the requirements of the Climbing Wall Skills Clinic checklist
- Complete the recertification written exam with a score of 80% or higher
- Teach one of the skills outlined below outlined on the
- Upon completion you will be issued a new belay certification card
Complete Belay Certification Requirements
This policy is meant to keep operational procedures consistent at the SCSU Climbing Wall, allow a of refresh skills, maintain the culture of safety and offers an option for not taking the entire Climbing Wall Skills Course over again.