[Purchasing] Purchasing Manual
It is the intent of the Purchasing Department at St. Cloud State University to provide the campus community with responsible purchasing. This includes timely purchases of goods and services at the lowest possible cost with consideration of quality, quantity and delivery based on market conditions. This will be accomplished as per laws, rules and regulations of the State of Minnesota, Minnesota State Colleges and Universities and St. Cloud State University.
In recent years, the University has benefited from policy changes which have granted us increased spending authority. Along with these enhanced abilities comes greater accountability and responsibility to follow procedures and stay within guidelines. This will be accomplished by the cooperation and planning of all SCSU departments.
For assistance in navigating the Purchase Control System (PCS) which will enable you to process a purchase order, please review the PCS Training Guide.
The following manual has been produced to guide you through most of your purchasing needs.
Download the full Purchasing Manual (PDF: 30 pages) or view each section below.
- Code of Ethics and Governing Statutes and Policies
- Obligations Incurred Prior to an Encumbrance (16A Violation)
- Purchasing up to $15,000
- Purchasing $15,000 - $50,000
- Purchasing of $50,000 or more
- Purchase Control System Status Codes
- Purchase Control System Security
- Certificate of Compliance (Affirmative Action)
- Certificates of Insurance
- Purchasing of Information Technology (IT) - computers, A/V, phones, software, etc.
- Food Purchases
- Maintenance Agreements
- Proprietary Advertising
- Single/Sole Source Items
- Special Expenses
- Targeted Group/Economically Disadvantaged/Veteran-Owned Vendor Program
- Helpful Hints & Reminders
- Who to Call for Help or Questions
- Object Codes
Commonly Used Forms
- Payment Request (PR1400) (pdf)
- 16A Violation Form (pdf)
- Quote Form (SCSU004) (doc)
- SWIFT Vendor Resources web page - for new and existing vendors
- Request to Incur Special Expenses (doc)
- Request to Incur Special Expenses (pdf)
- Tax Exemption Certificate (pdf) - Links to MnSCU System Office web page.
Additional Information & Manuals
- Purchasing Card Policy and Procedures Manual
- Professional/Technical Contracts Manual
- PCS Training Guide