Why We Do The Things We Do...
Atwood Memorial Center is the community center of the university, serving students, faculty, staff, alumni and guests. It enhances community life and academic programs through a comprehensive program of activities, events, services and facilities. Atwood Memorial Center serves as a unifying force honoring each individual, valuing diversity and fostering a sense of community that cultivates student-centeredness and enduring loyalty to St. Cloud State University.
“The Gathering Place”
The guiding principle of Atwood Memorial Center. This phrase truly describes the essence of why Atwood exists and what its purpose is. As stated in the mission statement, Atwood’s purpose is to serve as a unifying force in creating a community that is centered on the needs of students.
- Atwood Memorial Center will be one of the leading student centers in the country for comparable universities.
- It will be known for excellence in providing cultural, social, intellectual and recreational programs to enhance the educational experience and promote understanding of cultural diversity.
- The programs and amenities offered to the university and other organizations and individuals will be instrumental in increasing a greater sense of community and service.
- Through incorporation of leading edge technology and leadership opportunities, Atwood Memorial Center will enhance students’ knowledge and skills while helping them train for leadership in our democracy.
- The center will continue to build its comprehensive program within a framework that is very responsive to student needs while utilizing creative solutions that will allow it to move toward fiscal self-sufficiency.
- The center’s facilities and services will create a welcoming environment that reflects the changing needs of the campus community.
Student Life & Development Learning Outcomes
As an SCSU student I will:
- Be globally-aware and support diversity.
- Be self-aware and strive for meaningful relationships.
- Be an engaged member of my various communities.
- Take full advantage of opportunities for learning.
- Explore leadership.
- Live a balanced and purposeful life.
Atwood Memorial Center Student Employment Learning Outcomes
Employment in Atwood Memorial Center will provide students the opportunity to grow and develop in the following areas:
- Develop customer service skills
- Develop written and oral communication skills
- Practice collaboration and controversy with civility in a team environment
Critical Thinking and Decision-Making
- Understanding of and commitment to ethical action
- Develop problem-solving skills
- Engage with others in constructive ways
- Develop cross-cultural communication skills
- Develop a sense of connectedness within one's communities
- Value diversity
- Trust and respect others
- Develop advocacy through learning how to access resources and refer others to appropriate resources
- Practice time management and work/life balance
- Understand standards of professional dress and behavior
- Develop personal leadership skills
- Develop self confidence
- Manage people and tasks
- Lead in a group and team environment
- Develop and practice mentoring skills