Atwood Memorial Center, which opened its doors to the public in 1966, is
named for Allen A. Atwood, one of the many people who originally recognized the
need for an alternative to the environment provided by classrooms, libraries and
residences. A bronze bust of Mr. Atwood by sculptor Otto Dallmann was donated
by the Atwood family and is on display on the main floor.
More than 11,000 people a day pass through Atwood, thousands of meetings take
place under this roof in a year, and our central location on the campus makes us
a gathering place for both commuting and residential students.
Atwood Memorial Center is the community center of the university, serving
students, faculty, staff, alumni and guests. It enhances community life and
academic programs through a comprehensive program of activities, events,
services and facilities. Atwood Memorial Center serves as a unifying force
honoring each individual, valuing diversity and fostering a sense of community
that cultivates student-centerdness and enduring loyalty to St. Cloud State
- Atwood Memorial Center will be one of the leading student centers in the
country for comparable universities.
- It will be known for excellence in providing cultural, social, intellectual
and recreational programs to enhance the educational experience and promote
understanding of cultural diversity.
- The programs and amenities offered to the university and other organizations
and individuals will be instrumental in increasing a greater sense of community
- Through incorporation of leading edge technology and leadership and service
opportunities, Atwood Memorial Center will enhance students' knowledge and
skills while helping them train for leadership in our democracy.
- The center will continue to build its comprehensive program within a
framework that is very responsive to student needs while utilizing creative
solutions that will allow it to move toward fiscal self-sufficiency.
- The center's facilities and services will create a welcoming environment
that reflects the changing needs of the campus community.